It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• looks like chantix is not for me..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
    Punkdizzle
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Punkdizzle HB User
    Angry looks like chantix is not for me..

the first few days were ok but once i started on the .5 x2 a day i started to get this almost psychosis like side effect.. (strange thoughts, anger, seeing things) now before i scare anyone.. i am VERY med sensitive. and this is not the first time this has happened to me on a med.. so odds are what ever is in the chantix was also in some of the other meds i had taken in the past that gave me the same reaction.. or i could be having a med interaction that is not know at this point by the pharmacy or pfizer.. but at any rate i am done with this med.. it is just not going to work for me with those side effects..

but not done trying to quit! there are alot of other ways for me to try.. and since this was my first attempt.. i am not ready to give up. i think for now i am going to try the weening off method and keep cutting down day by day until i am smoke free.. i had started doing this anyway once i started the chantix so ill just stick to the plan that was already in motion with the chantix.

again don't let my reaction to this med scare you from trying it.. i am one of those very rare cases where i got the worst of the side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
    Re: looks like chantix is not for me..

Hey Punkdizzle, every med can't be taken by every person, too bad you can't take it, it sounds so wonderful. I used the patch, maybe you want to try that? I could not have quit w/i it.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Punkdizzle,
    There are people that just can not take this drug. You happen to be one of them.
    But I'm glad to see you are not ready to give up trying to stop smoking.
    There are so many options you have. Nicotine replacement, laser, cold turkey, hypnosis, and others. Check each of them out and pick one you want to go with. A few years ago my brother went and got hypnotized. He stayed quit for 3 years and started back smoking when his wife died. I tried to get him to go get hypnotized again, but he said he didn't want to do that. Now he's smoking those old nasty smelling cigars!
    Keep coming back here until you get ready to try something else. It will help to reinforce your decision to quit. Post and let us know how everything is going.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
    picacar
    (male)

picacar HB User

Hi, I am John. I too thought that I was scizo,from the chantix. HORRIBLE dreams. motormouth, anxious, just plain crazy. I stopped after the starter kit. Since I've had a major surgury, so I am hesitant to begain with this drug again, even with a lesser dosage. Thanks, I thought I was all alone in these wierd feelings caused by chantrx. I am under pressure from wife to quit, after declaring my intention to do so. Seems that she counts my intake closely and comments often about it.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
    naturemomma816
    Inactive
    (female)

naturemomma816 HB User

hello everyone.
    Not to really freak everyone out, but did any of you hear about the musician who totally freaked out because of this medication (maybe). He lost it so bad that someone shot him because of his banging on their door. He also had alcohol in his system so maybe this intensified his reaction to the medication. Who knows. From what I have heard on the news he had the same reactions as John and punkdizzle. It is a very good thing you both realized that something was very "off". What I would recommend is telling the drug company, the DR. and the FDA. The medication should be properly labeled so if others have the same reaction they will be aware.

I have been taking Chantix for about 3 wks. and the only side effect I have (now) is wonderful dreams, no nightmares for me. Thank God. I guess this just goes to show how different we all are and one thing may work for some and not for all.

I wish you the best of luck w/ your quit. Keep me updated on how things go for you. Stay strong.
    naturemomma

Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
    marilynzlaw
    (female)

marilynzlaw HB User

Hi, my Chantix experience was dreadful. During the second week, I developed a rapid heart beat and feelings of extreme fear (later to learn that they were panic attacks). I was able to tolerate the nausea and vomiting during the first week, but the panic was so severe that I had to take a leave of absence from work. All of this occured last year when Chantix first hit the market. My advise is to stay away from this relatively unknown drug!!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
    Heather75
    (female)

Heather75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marilynzlaw View Post
    Hi, my Chantix experience was dreadful. During the second week, I developed a rapid heart beat and feelings of extreme fear (later to learn that they were panic attacks). I was able to tolerate the nausea and vomiting during the first week, but the panic was so severe that I had to take a leave of absence from work. All of this occured last year when Chantix first hit the market. My advise is to stay away from this relatively unknown drug!!!!
    I have been on Chantix for 3 weeks and have no real problems. I know people complain of night mares but I haven't had them. I have had some really crazy dreams though....A snake the size of a hippo laying on my kitchen floor. That was my dream last night. Not scary just crazy. I have read a lot of things on-line that suggest that others have a lot of problems with it. I have also read a lot of success stories. The bottom line is that drugs effect everyone differently.

Smoke Free Since October 16th 2007

Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
    lissa77
    (female)

lissa77 HB User

My husband was taking CHANTIX for two weeks so he could quit dipping snuff. He is on meds for depression and CHANTIX has made him feel horrible. He quit taking CHANTIX and is taking Holy Basil as suggested on this forum. He's been off CHANTIX for two days. How soon can he expect to start feeling better? He said the depression he's feeling now is much worse than it has ever been. He's afraid the CHANTIX is blocking his Zoloft from working. I've called our doctor and haven't heard back. I'm very disappointed that depression is not listed as a possible side effect. I think it should not be prescribed for patients who are already on meds for depression. He is having all sorts of weird thoughts and doesn't want to do any of the things he normally enjoys. I'm praying this is not permanent.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
    marilynzlaw
    (female)

marilynzlaw HB User

My side effects were not permanent; however, I did have to start Cymbalta to overcome the intense anxiety. Weaning off Cymbalta now (8 months later). I feel certain that Chantix was the cause of my anxiety. I will never be one of the first to try any new med. Hope your doctor has called back. Your husband is probably correct, Chantix is blocking receptors in his brain so that Zoloft is not working.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
    beachymare
    (female)

beachymare HB User

I too am cutting back on Chantix due to all the side effects. Ihave been on it for 12 weeks - and have severe leg cramps and joint pain. I just went to my dr. and she was unaware of a lot of these problems. I am going to stop Chantix and try Wellbutrin for the next couple of months.

Has anyone here done this??

Mary

Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
    maac21
    (female)

maac21 HB User

Hi well it seems your wife needs to be more positive and quit reminding you of the nasty addiction that you have!!Nag nag Im married also and my husband has been so suportive.Im also taking chantix and decided not to continue becouse of the side effects.Im no longer a smoker thanks to chantix,but we should be more afraid of lun cancer mouth cancer ect.So the side effects are bad for some but so is the out come for smoking! Its mind over matter HANG IN THERE !!YOU CAN DO IT!!!BE POSITIVE Tell your wife to take it easy its hard enough to quit much less have someone on your butt about it! You can do it!!!1

Old 12-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
    44Karen
    (female)

44Karen HB User

My experience has been dreadful also, the panic attacks (which I have had for years anyway) are out of control. Hot flashes are horrible, when I look at the pill I have to take, I dread it, and think I will end up quitting on my own, it would be better than taking another pill

Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
    chewbug
    Inactive
    (female)

chewbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Punkdizzle View Post
    the first few days were ok but once i started on the .5 x2 a day i started to get this almost psychosis like side effect.. (strange thoughts, anger, seeing things) now before i scare anyone.. i am VERY med sensitive. and this is not the first time this has happened to me on a med.. so odds are what ever is in the chantix was also in some of the other meds i had taken in the past that gave me the same reaction.. or i could be having a med interaction that is not know at this point by the pharmacy or pfizer.. but at any rate i am done with this med.. it is just not going to work for me with those side effects..

but not done trying to quit! there are alot of other ways for me to try.. and since this was my first attempt.. i am not ready to give up. i think for now i am going to try the weening off method and keep cutting down day by day until i am smoke free.. i had started doing this anyway once i started the chantix so ill just stick to the plan that was already in motion with the chantix.

again don't let my reaction to this med scare you from trying it.. i am one of those very rare cases where i got the worst of the side effects.
    I tried the Chantix for 4 or 5 days and I never slept in all the time I was on it. Also had stomach issues, diahrrea, headaches, etc. I could not take it either. Still looking for something that will work for me.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
    maac21
    (female)

maac21 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: looks like chantix is not for me..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chewbug View Post
    I tried the Chantix for 4 or 5 days and I never slept in all the time I was on it. Also had stomach issues, diahrrea, headaches, etc. I could not take it either. Still looking for something that will work for me.
    Hi its maac I was reading on mood swings and found alot of people are taking Holy Basil capsules,so I went to gnc and bought some no I feel great ! you guys need to do research and try it. I am so glad i found this herb, the first day I noticed the side effects from chantix are almost gone. Every morning Im still blowing blood from nose,but im smoke free now for 99 days!!! read about this herb and talk with your doctor! Its so helped me in time of need!!! Its a blessing i thiught i was going insane!!! After holy basil I feel like a new person!!Good luck to you all!!1

Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
    maac21
    (female)

maac21 HB User

Hi i was also having side effects and found this herb called holy basil, oh my gosh talk about a new person!!!! I like myself again,before i was so bitchy and just hateful Talk to your doctor about this herb! It has helped me!!GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread