It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• weird side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User
    weird side effects

hey everyone. has anyone gotten any weird side effects like anxiety, shakiness, breathing problems from chantix? just curious
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
    paulagizmo
    (female)

paulagizmo HB User
    Re: weird side effects

I think I have experienced some odd ones and I'm being completely honest and hope I don't gross anyone out: (1) I've had periods of complete giddiness--you know you just can't control the laughter and it's embarrasing (I think that's a release of the anxiety/stress of quitting, (2) no gas or constipation but extremely hard stools (very painful) and thankfully it's only happened 3x and (3) a listed side effect, one of which a lot of people here seem to experience is headaches. Having had a daily headache for some time, once I quit they've stopped. I haven't even had a headache as part of a hangover. I think the most important thing is unless the side effect is having a major impact on your life stick with the Chantix. I hope this helps you out.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
    Skimmer
    (female)

Skimmer HB User

I cried the first couple of days and my husband has had the hard stool problem. I felt foggy the first couple of days, but nothing I couldn't live with. I'm doing great now!! Someone did post of a breathing or heart palpatation, and someone else had a rash - everyone reacts different to meds - so you just have to try it to see if it does anything to you. I didn't even feel them the 1st 6 or 7 days! And now, as long as take them with food, I get a mild tummy ache for about 3 mins, just a bit queasy, but not bad, and then it goes away. Like I said, it's no biggie for me - if I can quit smoking with this, then I'm good with it!!

Good luck to you!!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

well im on day 5 of the first pack of pills and i notice when i take my second
    .5 at nite about 2 hours later when it kicks in i get this overwelming feeling through my body. like bad anxiety, my head is real foggy and its making me nasty,and my chest feels a little racie, then it goes away with in the hour. not sure if this is normal, i guess ill call my doctor in the morning.
    thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi RIGIRL,
    Nicotine withdrawal symptoms:
    irritability, mood swings, restlessness, insomnia, fatigue
    inability to concentrate, sore throat, cough, congestion, headache,
    increased appetite constipation, gas, stomach pain, dry mouth
    sore tongue/gums , postnasal drip, tightness in the chest.
    Chantix side effects:
    headache, sleep problems, insomnia, unusual dreams, nausea, stomach pain, indigestion, vomiting, constipation, gas, weakness, tired feeling, increased appitite, unpleasant taste in your mouth.

Some of the nicotine withdrawal and the Chantix side effects are the same. The brain fog is a common side effect that is not listed on the Chantix. Most of the withdrawal symptoms go away after a couple of weeks. The Chantix side effects will go away after a shot period of time for most people. But for some, they last the entire time they are on the pill.

Good idea to check with your doctor.
    Let us know how you are doing.

Memaw

Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

well i decided to stop chantix because of to many bad side effects. it sux because i was so excited to use this. i feel like i have bad bronchitis and i was getting very bad anxiety attacks after i would take my second .5. they would oast for 2 and a half hours. i guess its not for everyone. well ill have to quit cold turkey i guess. has anyone used the gum? good luck to all of you!!! stay strong. i cant wait to be over this habit.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
    LucyRoberts
    (female)

LucyRoberts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delighted View Post
    Don't want to offend anyone but I haven't read about one terrific side effect..Great sex!

ROFLMAO! I've been lurking for awhile on the board and hadn't had the courage to post yet. I was wondering when someone was going to menttion this! Tomorrow is my quit day and after 6 days on the Chantix, I concur with your observation!

Just as a side note, I've been a smoker for 15 years... the last 5 years or so I have been smoking 2 packs a day or so. I just have to brag here though, I've had a pack for 2 and a half days that I have only smoked 6 cigs out of! How amazing is this drug??????????

Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
    tampaquit
    (female)

tampaquit HB User

Welcome LucyRoberts! And congratulations on getting where you are today! You are almost exactly like I was, though I smoked a little less than you. But those last three days before I quit, I was thinking, man this is the same pack from before. You will do awesome on your quit day. If you can just get through that day without a cig, every day since then has been great. Come back to these boards when you feel an urge, take a deep breath (that worked great for me), eat a carrot, anything to not smoke. You'll wake up the next day thinking, geez, I did it, and I can do it one more day. I am 6 days quit and feeling good!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
    LucyRoberts
    (female)

LucyRoberts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delighted View Post
    Oh LucyRoberts!...LOL...We can't be the only ones!??!

I certainly hope not!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
    LucyRoberts
    (female)

LucyRoberts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tampaquit View Post
    Welcome LucyRoberts! And congratulations on getting where you are today! You are almost exactly like I was, though I smoked a little less than you. But those last three days before I quit, I was thinking, man this is the same pack from before. You will do awesome on your quit day. If you can just get through that day without a cig, every day since then has been great. Come back to these boards when you feel an urge, take a deep breath (that worked great for me), eat a carrot, anything to not smoke. You'll wake up the next day thinking, geez, I did it, and I can do it one more day. I am 6 days quit and feeling good!
    Thanks for the welcome!

I wasn't sure I was going to post here or not til today. You guys seem to have such a tight knit and supportive group, I didn't want to be a disappointment.

I have tried every quit method out there and have had a 100 % failure rate each time. After only smoking 6 smokes in the last 2 and a half days though, I am feeling extremely confident in my quit this time. I just can't believe I don't have the jitters and my nerves aren't grinding like rusty gears! Hubby even says I haven't been grumpy! This drug is amazing!

I've been lucky on the side effects, no nausea, no headaches, no insomnia... I have been having crazy dreams and been more tired on some days than normal. I hope to get to know all of you guys and reap the benefits of knowlege from quitters further along than I am!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
    Raymatt
    (male)

Raymatt HB User

LucyRoberts

I think you will find the Chantix will be a big help to you. I smoked very heavy for well over 50 years and had the same 0% success rate as you when trying to quit with other methods. I have had many of the common side effects from the Chantix but none of them were bad enough for me to even consider giving up. I quit on the 9th day after starting the Chantix and have had an easy quit so far. No strong urges or cravings. I am now one day away from finishing my fifth smoke free week and don't even think about cigarettes anymore. I'm trying not to become over confident, I know it's not suppose to be this easy. I'm just enjoying one smoke free day at a time.

I got a good laugh out of your hubby saying you are not even grumpy. My wife has been saying that since I quit. I guess she thought she was in for a miserable time!

Good luck with your quit.

Ray

Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #12
    tampaquit
    (female)

tampaquit HB User

LucyRoberts, just keep us posted on how you are doing. Like I said, and everyone else says the same thing, just take it hour by hour and get through that first day. You will be so proud of yourself!! And as far as cranky or withdrawel, etc., I could not even sit through a meeting without becoming a lunatic wanting a smoke. That was my fear with quitting. But the Chantix took alllllll of that away. I am really serious, for me it took it away. I wanted a smoke, but by habit. Good luck and next week you'll be posting how many days Quit you are!!! Just do it!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LucyRoberts View Post
    Tomorrow is my quit day ....
    Good luck tomorrow LucyRoberts!!! Here are a few to help you! Come back and let us know how your are doing!

Quote:
    I wasn't sure I was going to post here or not til today. You guys seem to have such a tight knit and supportive group, I didn't want to be a disappointment.
    OMG Lucy, everyone is welcome here! The more the better! It's so great to see how well everyone is doing!!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RIGIRL View Post
    well i decided to stop chantix because of to many bad side effects. it sux because i was so excited to use this. i feel like i have bad bronchitis and i was getting very bad anxiety attacks after i would take my second .5. they would oast for 2 and a half hours. i guess its not for everyone. well ill have to quit cold turkey i guess. has anyone used the gum? good luck to all of you!!! stay strong. i cant wait to be over this habit.
    RIGIRL,
    I'm so sorry the Chantix didn't work out for you. Let us know what method you decide to use to quit....cold turkey, nicotine replacement, etc. If you choose the nicotine replacement, know it is better to use that than it is to smoke.
    Cigarette Smoke contains more than 3000 chemical substances, and a few of them deserve mentioning:
    Acrolein: a toxic, colorless liquid with irritating cancerous vapors

Carbon Monoxide: a toxic, flammable gas used in the manufacture of numerous chemical products. Inhalation of carbon monoxide interferes with the transportation of oxygen from the lungs to the tissues, where it is required.

Nicotine: a poisonous alkaloid that is the chief addictive substance in tobacco. It is also used as an insecticide and to kill parasitic worms in animals.

Ammonia: a gaseous alkaline compund of nitrogen and hydrogen used as a colant in refrigerating and air conditioning equipment and in explosives, artifical fertilizers, and disinfectants.

Formic Acid: a liquid gas used in processing textiles and leather. Exposure to the acid irritates the mucous membranes and causes blistering.

Hydrogen Cyanide: a poisonous liquid used in many chemical processes including fumigation, and in the case-hardening of iron and stell. Cydrogen cyanide gas is used as the lethal agent in capital punishment.

Nitrous Oxide: a group of irritating and sometimes poisonous gases that combine with hydrocarbons to produce smog.

Formaldehyde: a pungent gas used primarily as a disinfectant and preservative. It is extremely irritating to the mucous membrances.

Phenol: a caustic, poisonous acidic compound present in coal and wood tar and used in disinfectants.

Acetaldehyde: a highly toxic, flammable liquid that irritates the eyes and mucous membranes and accelerates the action of the heart. Prolonged exposure causes blood pressume to rise and causes proliferation of white and red blood cells.

Hydrogen Sulfide: a poisonous gas produced naturally from putregying matter and used extensively in chemical laboratories.

Pyridyne: a flammable liquid used in pharmaceuticals, water repellents, bactericides, and herbicides.

Methyl Chloride: a toxic gas used in the production of rubber and paint remover and as an antiknock agent in gasoline.

Acetonitrile: a toxic compound found in coal tar and molasses residue and use in the production of plastics, rubber, acrylic fiber, insecticides, and perfumes.

Propionaldehye: a colorless liquid with a suffocating odor, used as a chemical disinfectant and preservative as well as in plastic and rubber.

Methanol: a poisonous liquid alcohol used in automotive antifreezes, rocket fuels, synthetic dye stuffs, resins, drugs and perfumes.

Good Luck to you! Keep us posted as to your progress!

Memaw

Old 02-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
    Memaw649
    Inactive
    (female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
    ROFLMAO! I've been lurking for awhile on the board and hadn't had the courage to post yet. I was wondering when someone was going to menttion this! Tomorrow is my quit day and after 6 days on the Chantix, I concur with your observation!

Just as a side note, I've been a smoker for 15 years... the last 5 years or so I have been smoking 2 packs a day or so. I just have to brag here though, I've had a pack for 2 and a half days that I have only smoked 6 cigs out of! How amazing is this drug??????????
    Welcome to you, LucyRoberts!!
    I'm so glad you stopped lurking and joined us.
    I can tell from your attitude that you are going to be a quitter!! The Chantix should help with this addiction. You will have to help with the habit. They really are two different things.
    Let us know how the first day went! We're all pulling for you. We're all here to help in any way we can. We know and understand what you're going through. You are not alone in this.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Closed Thread