It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• I'm fixing to start Chantix; any advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
    ugagodawgs
    (female)

ugagodawgs HB User
    Smile Re: I'm fixing to start Chantix; any advice?

Hi all, I am on day 4 of Chantix, Cigs are starting to taste funny-I have been a 1 1/2 pk smoker for 20+yrs. I am doing this for me and my 10 yr old who desperalty wants me to quit!! I am 44 and want to live a long and healthy life and play with my grandkids some day!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #17
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
    Re: I'm fixing to start Chantix; any advice?

hi uga! welcome to these boards, you've come to the right place for help and support. there are all wonderful people on here that want to hear from you! i am on day 9 smoke free with chantix. chantix helps alot, but will power and being completely ready to quit we need also.
    where you are new, you might want to start your own thread on here. i'll be cheering you on....bevann

Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #18
    DannDees
    (female)

DannDees HB User

hi g...congrats!! on the road to being smoke free. I know how excited / nervous you are right now. This will work for you if you want it to. If it worked for me it can work for anyone. I can't wait to watch your journey and to be here for you, as so many were here for me. I am still pretty new to being non smoker but definately feel strong enough now to help others..

bev...wow 9 days.. you sound great. How is it for you now? OMgoodness can you believe it? just a few post ago

Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #19
    liz3521
    (female)

liz3521 HB User

Hello Chantix users,
    I am on day 8 of Chantix, today being my first day without cigarettes. I am very nervous because I am not good at self-discipline. I can't even imagine life without a good smoke! Please let me know how to deal with this. Hopefully the Chantix will help me through it. I have tried to quite a few times before with the patch and gum. I'm hoping today I will be on the road to becoming a non-smoker.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 AM   #20
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

congrats on day one! i too have tried many different ways to quit over the yrs. i believe chantix is my best way yet. i am 12 days smoke free and looking forwards to 12 yrs!! i did it completely for my health.
    these are some things that have helped me thru any craves------i can think about a cig but don't need to marry it(in and quickly out of my head), i'm convincing myself if i smoke i will be carrying oxygen around forever...or get lung cancer and die a painful death.
    i also chew on a plastic coffee stirrers when i would be smoking, go outside and breathe fresh air in my lungs(thinking i am lucky i can still breathe after 42 yrs of putting poison into my lungs!)
    i hope what i am doing has given you some ideas...stay strong and hate that cig!
    bevann

Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
    jaycubed
    (female)

jaycubed HB User

Hi everyone! I thought I would post an update on my progress. Here goes:

The first week of taking Chantix, I had horrible side effects. Migraine like headaches where light and sound bothered me, horrible joint and muscle pains, and feeling very bloated. On day 4, I called my doctor and asked her about it. She told me not to titrate up just yet and to do so when my headache goes away. So then on day 8, I was still on the 0.5 mg once a day dose. My side effects subsided a little. Still there, but not bad like they were. On day 8, I decided to go up to 0.5 mg twice a day. I am happy to say the morning of day 9 was my last ciggie. I threw out my pack after one because I felt very yucky after it, I could smell the cigarette on me for hours after that and about vomited, and my headache came back. It is now day 11 and I feel GREAT!!! I do have some cravings, but very mild. I bought a huge packet of sugarless gum and a lot of carrots to help with those cravings. I know I still have a way to go, but so far so good!

I think I did it! I think I am a nonsmoker! I will never, ever touch those things again. Also, reading the posts daily on this board was a HUGE motivational factor! Thanks guys! You saved my life!

Jen J.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #22
    liz3521
    (female)

liz3521 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    You won't know how it works for you until you try it. I experienced calmness when I took Chantix, very even pleasant feeling. I only experienced insomnia and some joint pain about 2-3 weeks into the blue pills, so I started taking only one a day at that point. Did not notice any more intense craves and slept better and joint pain disappeared. I am totally off Chantix and choose not to smoke anymore. I have been quit for 5 months! Good Luck and keep us posted!
    Velveeta,
    How long did you take the Chantix? Do you get intense cravings when you stopped taking it? I, like you, get a peaceful feeling from it and am sleeping so much better. I haven't had joint pain, yet! Congratulations on your quit and thanks so much for the support and words of advice. I am hanging on to this board for help.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #23
    velveeta
    (female)

velveeta HB User

I took Chantix from Mar 5 until May 6th. I was having surgery on May 23 and did not want any meds in my system when it was done. I would have stayed on Chantix longer and would advise anyone to do the whole program to insure the quit. I sure would have. I had some urges that got to me but I WANTED THE QUIT and dealt accordingly. I fared really well just taking one blue pill a day and then I weaned from that just 2 weeks prior to my May 23 surgery. I am smoke free 5 months and I adore how I feel now!! Just Quit! It does get easier, I swear!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #24
    jellybean3009
    (female)

jellybean3009 HB Userjellybean3009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bevann26 View Post
    congrats on day one! i too have tried many different ways to quit over the yrs. i believe chantix is my best way yet. i am 12 days smoke free and looking forwards to 12 yrs!! i did it completely for my health.
    these are some things that have helped me thru any craves------i can think about a cig but don't need to marry it(in and quickly out of my head), i'm convincing myself if i smoke i will be carrying oxygen around forever...or get lung cancer and die a painful death.
    i also chew on a plastic coffee stirrers when i would be smoking, go outside and breathe fresh air in my lungs(thinking i am lucky i can still breathe after 42 yrs of putting poison into my lungs!)
    i hope what i am doing has given you some ideas...stay strong and hate that cig!
    bevann
    bevann, your post gives me hope in quitting. Like you, I have smoked for a very long time...40 years.

Today is my 65th birthday and my 6th day on Chantix. I had hoped to give myself a present to be smoke-free but it isn't happening yet. I feel like such a loser to still be craving a cigarette like I do. When does the Chantix finally kick in? So far, I can't tell I am taking anything!
    What was your experience? How long before you could feel it working?

I quit for 6 weeks last year before a minor surgery. I used Commit Lozenges at that time. I was amazed at how much better I could breathe and seemed to have more energy even though I had just been through surgery. Why it's so much harder this time is beyond me!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #25
    liz3521
    (female)

liz3521 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jellybean3009 View Post
    bevann, your post gives me hope in quitting. Like you, I have smoked for a very long time...40 years.

Today is my 65th birthday and my 6th day on Chantix. I had hoped to give myself a present to be smoke-free but it isn't happening yet. I feel like such a loser to still be craving a cigarette like I do. When does the Chantix finally kick in? So far, I can't tell I am taking anything!
    What was your experience? How long before you could feel it working?

I quit for 6 weeks last year before a minor surgery. I used Commit Lozenges at that time. I was amazed at how much better I could breathe and seemed to have more energy even though I had just been through surgery. Why it's so much harder this time is beyond me!
    Congratulations to you for making the decision to quit again. It is such a big deal. This board is very helpful since these are the only people who have any clue what you are going through. I am on quit day 6 and feeling good about myself. I did smoke on day 8 of the Chantix and once I smoked while taking the 2 blue pills, it tasted awful and I knew I wouldn't be trying that again. Once I get through Hell week (Tuesday) I will look forward to Heck week. I hear it gets easier.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #26
    jaycubed
    (female)

jaycubed HB User

It DOES get easier! I am on quit day 4. I had to taper up my dose slower than recommended because of side effects per my doctor. I was really nervous the day before my quit day. I do get a mild cravings once in a while of having a cigarette, but it is very mild and goes away as fast as it came. I remember the day before my quit date how awful they made me feel and how bad they tasted. When I start to think about it, I remember back to how yucky I felt.

Also, in the morning while making breakfast, I chop up a lot of carrot sticks, cucumer slices, and apple slices just in case those cravings come on strong, I sit and work and munch on fresh vegetables. Maybe that should go on another thread.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #27
    LRyanLoeb
    (female)

LRyanLoeb HB User

When I quit once before, I found it helpful to cut a drinking straw in half, and carry it around with you. When the urge hits, make the smoking motion with the straw (pulling air through it). It sounds and looks crazy, but it really helps! I am convinced that 90% of the smoking habit is psychological. Finding healthy alternatives really helps.

Now I'd like to ask my own questions. I joined this board today because I've got an MD appointment tomorrow and plan to ask him about Chantix (my insurance company has just decided to cover it). I quit once before using a combination of Wellbutrin and the Nicoderm patch, and stayed quit for 18 months. Why did I start again? Foolishness. I thought I could have an occasional cigarette. WRONG. Its like having "one beer" to an alcoholic. One leads to two leads to a pack.

One thing I hated last time was that I gained 30 pounds in just a couple of months - without eating anything more than I ever did! Obviously, weight gain is a side effect of quitting smoking, but does Chantix do anything to reduce the chances of this happening? I'd be interested in hearing from people who have been quit (using Chantix) for several months about their experiences with weight gain. It has been my "excuse" ever since I relapsed not to quit again and I'd like to take away my own excuse because I know it is important that I do this!

My other question concerns the palpitations/nervousness. I had a scary experience with the Wellbutrin and a panic attack while driving 60 mph on a highway. Have many of you had anxiety attacks/palpitations? Is it allowed to drink caffeinated drinks while taking Chantix, or should they be avoided?

I never got back up to the level (2 packs/day) that I smoked before my first quit but I still smoke more than I should (a pack a day) and at 50 yrs old, I'm beginning to feel it. My husband doesn't smoke, and I'd like to enjoy my old age with him instead of fighting emphysema or dying of lung cancer.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #28
    liz3521
    (female)

liz3521 HB User

WOW, let us know what the dr. says about the weight gain. That is a big concern for me, but right now I have to stay focused on my quit and do what I have to do to convince myself I will stay quit this time.
    I am one week today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #29
    mrsb02
    (female)

mrsb02 HB User

Liz, I had 1 smoke on day 8, felt guilty but...Now I do not give in when I want a smoke, I don't act on craving and then it passes. I thought, what is the use in this, I loved smoking. I did hate the smeel and being so offensive to others so...here I am on my 9th day of no smokes and doing OK. Plus, I am extremely pleased I haven't gained any weight, that has been a battle in it's own!!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #30
    jaycubed
    (female)

jaycubed HB User

Oh, I think I need some help here. I am on day 12 of being smoke-free. I am doing surprisingly well. Very minimal cravings. Even had some friends over for the weekend who were smokers and had no problems. They even offered one and I turned it down!

My problem now is I am EXTREMELY sad and depressed! I cry all the time. I feel horrible!! I don't want to do anything, not even take a shower in the morning or get out of bed let alone taking care of my son. This has been in just the last week. I have never been like this before.

Should I decrease my dose? I am worried about the cravings if I do decrease since I feel I am doing so well now with the smoking cessation. Is day 12 of being smoke-free too early to decrease the Chantix?

Any help would be appreciated.

Closed Thread