It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Not the same after chantix ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
    baileymarie01
    (female)

baileymarie01 HB User
    Question Not the same after chantix ??

I was on chanyix for about a month and a half and regret taking this.. I have knee and leg pains going down my leg bones and clicking of every joint in my body along with muscle pain. I have been off chantix for four months now and still i'm in pain every day.. I did go to see a dr. and did all kinds of blood work and found nothing. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.. I think they just don't know enough about this drug and I regret taking it. I just want to let others know about other side effects that they do not tell us and needless to say i regret taking this and now i'm on meds for nuero issues do to chantix and don't know if i'll ever be the same again.. Anyone else have joint and muscle pain after taking this please let me and others know also thank you..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
    PumpkinSeed
    (female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User
    Re: Not the same after chantix ??

sorry to hear you have the pain.

chantix seems to work great for some and horrible for others. in some ways i think it's also getting a bad rap. some of the pain and aches and side effects i really think are due to quitting smoking. i wonder if people who quit cold turkey have an increase in sort of pain. if smoking somehow masks things that when you quit end up flaring up.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
    wrongwayagain55
    (female)

wrongwayagain55 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post

chantix seems to work great for some and horrible for others. in some ways i think it's also getting a bad rap. some of the pain and aches and side effects i really think are due to quitting smoking. i wonder if people who quit cold turkey have an increase in sort of pain. if smoking somehow masks things that when you quit end up flaring up.
    i do believe this. i have heard of people who have quit smoking that werent sick a day in their lives, then after they quit, stayed sick, or hurt all the time. Just MHO.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 AM   #4
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I believe smoking masks physical and emotional issues.

ICC

p.s. just passed the 8 week mark and doing great!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
    barb203
    (female)

barb203 HB User
    Question Re: Not the same after chantix ??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post

I came on this board to find out if anyone was having joint pain,my husband took Chantix for 1 month,stopped taking it because of the pain and he still has the pains and was wondering if anyone else did and how much longer will he have them?He still isent smoling though,Now I also quit but cold Turkey and I have to tell you guys No pains,alot of "I want a smoke" but some how my mind takes over and I remember why I wanted to stop real fast and I forget about the smoke for the time being.I just wish I could find out what the chantix did to my husband the Dr's seem to think he's nuts and there's no side affects like he's decribing!IM GOING TO TELL MY dR TO TAKE A LOOK AT THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
    barb203
    (female)

barb203 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baileymarie01 View Post
    I was on chanyix for about a month and a half and regret taking this.. I have knee and leg pains going down my leg bones and clicking of every joint in my body along with muscle pain. I have been off chantix for four months now and still i'm in pain every day.. I did go to see a dr. and did all kinds of blood work and found nothing. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.. I think they just don't know enough about this drug and I regret taking it. I just want to let others know about other side effects that they do not tell us and needless to say i regret taking this and now i'm on meds for nuero issues do to chantix and don't know if i'll ever be the same again.. Anyone else have joint and muscle pain after taking this please let me and others know also thank you..
    Yes my husband has the same pains you describe

Old 10-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

If your hubby's doctor isn't up for checking out message boards, simply print out the prescribing information right on Pfizer's website. The adverse events section of the PDF list all sorts of muscle/joint aches, pains, muscle cramps, even arthritis as frequent and infrequent side effects of Chantix.

Geez, what a shame a patient has to bring the prescribing information to the physician's attention. Aren't we paying the big bucks to the docs because we expect them to know the prescribing info?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #8
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User

I've been having knee joint pains and it's in the knee that I had a total replacement done! It feels like it's sorta swollen and a pulled muscle
    Was going to call my doctor today and check!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
    baileymarie01
    (female)

baileymarie01 HB User

Hello to all that who have replied and thank you. I'm sorry to here about anyone else who has this muscle pain. Barb203 and Golfmom01 i'm not sure how long this will last and you can let your husbands dr. know that he and (we) are not all nuts. I really don't know what it did and for how long this will go on for I have been off chantix for over two months and the pain has no sign of going away. I have a dr. appt. next week on thur. and I will for surelly print all this and take it to him. Another side effect I have but didn't post in my first thread was that I have popping and clicking off all my joints now, No pain with it but my wrists,shoulders,hips,ect.? just cureous to see if anyone else has this also. I wiil let you all know what the dr. has to say also..
    Thanks again
    baileymarie0221

Old 10-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
    velveeta
    (female)

velveeta HB User

I took Chantix 2 and a half months and experienced joint pain on the full dosage. I lessened the dosage and was fine after that. I still had some back pain and other littles aches and pains that I had prior to taking Chantix. I have been on a regular exercise (cardio workout) 4 days a week and I just started weight training 2 times aweek and I have no more pain anywhere and have not felt this good in years. I am smoke free just about 7 months am 50 years old and feel like I have a new lease on life. Just letting you know what I experienced, hope it helps.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
    robindenise99
    (female)

robindenise99 HB User
    Red face Re: Not the same after chantix ??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICC View Post
    I believe smoking masks physical and emotional issues.

ICC

p.s. just passed the 8 week mark and doing great!
    I agree. I quit smoking 4 years ago with Wellbutrin and the first week without a cig I had the first of many bad migraines. I starting smoking again about a year ago because I gained so much weight (40 lbs) from not smoking. I want to try Chantix to quit smoking this time but some of these side effects I'm reading about are scaring me.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
    keria2007
    (female)

keria2007 HB User

I have been on Chantix for about 6 weeks now, I started it right after I had my baby...I seem to be doing well with it...I just thought the aches that I was having was from all the swelling from the baby...mostly in my hands. I have read the print out from the scripts and no where is there a mention of the things that everyone seems to be talking and feeling about after taking this med.
    The only thing that I have found was the vivid dreams...I mean come on..no offense to Steve-O but I dont think I would be dreaming or having any kind of nightmare with him in it.

How about anyone else with the vivid dreams??

Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
    still hurting
    (female)

still hurting HB User

I took Chantix 5 months ago for about 6 weeks. I got severe migraine headaches. I went to the e.r. and the doctor there told me to stop taking the Chantix because that was causing the migraines. I stopped the Chantix but I STILL have the migraines. Yesterday I had to quit my job because I can't even work any more! My husband is sure that the Chantix is what has caused the migraines. I am seeing a nuerologist and he can't or won't confirm, but I was fine before I started taking it so what else could it be? I just wonder if I have some kind of permanent damage because of it......... I would suggest anyone thinking about taking this drug SERIOUSLY consider the side effects before you start taking it! For me it has been 5 months of hell and it doesn't look like it is going to get better any time soon! I have kids to raise, a house to take care of, my husband would like to have sex again sometime and I need to be able to work! Someone make this headache go away!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
    libby8816
    (female)

libby8816 HB User
    Question Re: Not the same after chantix ??

Hello Everyone... I Just Recieved My Script For Chantix And After Reading All Of Your Problems With This Im Terrified To Start Taking It...... I Know The Results Are Good And All But At My Age Im Not Sure I Can Take The Joint Pain,nausea Or Able To Miss Any Work... Does Anyone Have Any Positive Things To Say About This Expensive Drug???????

Last edited by libby8816; 10-12-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
    nomoresmokin'
    (female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

I have been meaning to do an update, so I will do it here. I have been taking Chantix for 5 weeks now. So 4 weeks and I have not smoked!!!! I am so happy about that. I can say one month now instead of weeks or days.
    Anyways, when I first posted, I didn't have any side effects. Well, that was early in the game here. I have had some side effects, but not bad enough to stop the Chantix, yet anyways.
    For the first 4 weeks, I took it as we are suppose to. My side effects are gas, burping, terrible heart burn, a feeling like a bowling ball was in my stomach for a couple of hours after I take the first pill. I didn't really have nausea, but more like queasiness. Every day I had all of the above problems. So on this past week (my fifth week and the beginning of my maintenance) I decided to only take one blue pill per day instead of two. I still have all of the problems above, but they aren't as bothersome. I will do the same this coming week (6th week) and then after that, if all goes well, I will cut back some more. I haven't decided yet how. I am trying to wean myself off slowly and hopefully I can quit the Chantix in a few weeks and still not smoke. I am concerned about some of the side effects for the long term as I don't think this pill has been out long enough for us to know, so I want to get off of it as soon as I can and still not smoke. My dr. said for me to take my Prilosec and it helps tremendously for the heartburn. I took Prilosec before the Chantix, but quit for a while because I felt like I was taking too many pills. I have not missed any work. I do dream alot, but I always have at times. Nothing weird. I have more energy now. I don't like the taste of coffee now but I keep trying. My mouth is very dry (some of that is the meds I am taking for my IBS). I cough, but it is an occasional light cough. Usually nothing comes up, sometimes a clear discharge. I do find myself trying to clear my throat quite a lot. I was outragously hungry all the time when I was taking 2 of the blue pills per day. Now that I only take one a day, I am only hungry a lot, but not all of the time and not outrageously I am picky about what I eat. I like very spicy food. Bland food is bland. I think a lot of things smell bad now. I am always smelling "stuff". I think some of my friends think I am crazy (not really) because I keep saying What is that smell and they don't smell anything.
    That about sums it up. Sorry if this is so long. I am glad so far, that I found Chantix. I realize some people have bad problems with it, but so far, I have been able to get through mine. I am worried about going off of Chantix, but that is yet to be seen. I do think a lot of people who aren't having problems are maybe not posting because all is well. I know of 3 people personally that is on it and one has been off a year and doing great and the other two are doing good so far.
    Hope all goes well for everyone and good luck and I hope we all can quit smoking one way or another.

Closed Thread