It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• 2 months & three weeks & cravings our of the blue!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
    2 months & three weeks & cravings our of the blue!

Hi all! I stopped smoking on March 8th and this past week has been a stinker! I have wanted a smoke so badly I can taste it! It seems like my anxiety level has been the pits, but I noticed this the last time I quit last year. I got to the three month mark and nearly went crazy wanting a cigarette. Mind you, I have enough presence of mind to know that a smoke doesn't really help anything. My psychiatrist gave me a script for Buspar(anti-anxiety) to add to the Effexor I'm taking and I've put off taking it, trying to tough this out myself. If anyone else has found their anxiety/depression level has increased after quitting, I would love to swop stories. Thanks so much! Hopeto--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
    Liamsmom
    Inactive
    (female)

Liamsmom HB User
    Re: 2 months & three weeks & cravings our of the blue!

Hopeto... When I quit I felt like I was disconnected and in a fog, depressed, exhausted all the time. Shortly after the three month mark it starts to lift and you start to feel like your old self again. Don't despair your right around the corner from feeling better. Keep in mind that even a year down the line you'll have a craving out of the blue it's just something that's gonna happen and you can tough it out because they only last a few minutes. You can do this!!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
    SHARON1952
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

hi i also have stopped on and of for a year when i stop i feel so ill after a time i always start again the longest time of being 9 weeks its getting my husband doesnt want me to stop as its so bad i got told i have an underactive thyroid i only got this after i stopped smoking i can go without them for a while and then it hits me cravings are so bad i just cry all the time wont do anything have no energy just feel like i am dying the worse about it is i realy do want to stop thats why i keep trying then i go back to normal when i start again i am usually very energetic but when i stop i dont even want to eat i am on antidepressantshave been on them for years they dont even help i know the smoking is realy dragging me down health wise but i still go back on them as i dread the withdrawals and thats me using the patch everyone tells me i will feel better in time but its hard when you are feeling so bad its like i get bad when i quit and fell bad when i start again i feel as if i have let myself down after being of them feels like im in the pits

Last edited by SHARON1952; 05-24-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

The same thing happened to me. The first time I went back to smoking for a couple of months then stopped again. When it happened a second time I went back on the patch. So it has almost been 2 years since I have smoked. Use any nrt but don't pick up that cigarette. Godbless.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi Hopeto, I hope you are still smoke free!! I've been quit for 2 years and I still get the odd craving or two now and then! But I just tell that ole Nicodemon where to go! You can be a quitter!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

If one quites multiple times, I read that each time can be different. so if it was hard the last time they attemtped it, this time can be easier. so it's best to always go in thinking that this attempt will be easier. this concept of thinking in a positive way will help me when I begin to stop smoking this weekend.

I stopped for 7 months the last time and I drank a few alcoholic beverages and I thought I could just have one or two and not effect me. well that was a big mistake on my part. because once an addict, always an addict. smoking is just as much an addiction like doing drugs, because nicotine is a drug.
    they say the addiction to cigarettes is harder than stopping heroin.
    cigarettes being the hardest to stop.

I also read that one has to stop a full year in order to be considered a non smoker.
    I also found that once the thought of wanting a cigarette hit's our mind, just shut out the thought as if a stop sing was put in front of your face. just get the idea out of your mind as fast as it enters the mind. it really works.

because the length of time it takes for your desire to appear before it goes away is a lot lesser in time than it is to smoke an entire cigarette.
    it takes longer to smoke the cigarette than the thought to want to smoke enters our mind.
    I don't know about you, but for me that sounds darn good.

If I KNOW the pain and uncomfortableness goes away within a few seconds I can deal with the desire better when it approaches.

also I chew gum, suck on lollipops, and try to stop the routines I used to do when smoked. clean out your car and make it smell nice again.
    also, for woman, I find that my hair smelled so fresh as if I just got out of the shower when I didn't smoke, compared to when I smoke, my hair smells immediatly like smoke. my coats, clothing, everthing smells like smoke.

imagine this..... have you ever experienced a house fire on a street days after the event took place, that you can STILL smell the smoke from the fire. everything that was in that house at the time of the fire has to be thrown out because it was in the smoke.
    that's exactly what we're doing when we smoke. we're inhaling smoke which is like inhaling the smoke of a fire. it gets all over our hair, our clothes and what ever was in touch with the smoke.

I stay away from the chantix and there's another drug they take to quit smoking. there is a warning that they can cause seizures. I found this out to be very true.
    a coworkers female cousin was getting ready to go to go sleep but forgot to do soemthing down stairs. her husband realized alot of time has gone by and his wife still didn't come back upstairs. he went to look for her.
    guess what? she was down in the basement unconsious. they don't know if she slipped and hit her head. she was almost in a coma like state for months. she had brain damage and didn't know who her family was. all she could do was sit in a chair and do nothing.
    the doctors found out afterwards that she was taking that prescription to stop smoking. it was what caused her to have a seizure. so I warn everyone now.

it also happened to an older man who was taking it too. he had a seizure and the dr's didn't know why. they found out he was on chantix or hte other drug similar to it.

be careful and do alot of research and read the small print that comes on teh info sheet that's put on the bottle of the medicine.

I found a wonderful site that has tones of information on how to quite. tips, etc. I found it out to be very helpful indeed the last time I attemtped to quit.

I found out too more and more desires to smoke hit me than it did when I first quit . I thought it was supposed to be easier as time went on, not harder!
    I don't understand why this occurs?

I can't stand the taste of cigarettes anymore like I used to. I get so sick from them the first one in the morning that I wait as long as I can go to have it.
    my body is telling me I"m ready to quite. so that's why I did a quit day.

it helps alot better to pick a date to quit.

any other suggestions on what to do while not smoking would be a great help to me.
    thank you all for your inspiration and positive input.

Linda

Closed Thread