It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Patch + Wellbutrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Question Patch + Wellbutrin

Hi! I am new to the boards and today is my day one smoke-free. Oddly enough, I want to quit so badly that I'm having a great day even though I get a craving now and then. Anyway, here's my question: I am currently using the 21mg. patch, step one, and it seems to be working for me pretty well so far. As I said, I get a mild craving now and then but nothing unbearable. I am using the patch vs. Wellbutrin initially because I need to quit now, before I have dental surgery, and couldn't get the prescription immediately. My concern is this: I have read and heard that the long-term success rate of the patch is not great, and that Wellbutrin/Zyban has a much higher success rate of those still quit after one year. I do still have the option of getting the prescription- but should I just stick with the patch? Anyone quit for a long time/permanently using the patch? Also, does anyone know if switching to Wellbutrin in the middle of my patch program will hurt my chances or health?

Thanks!
    Jules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
    sudzie

sudzie HB User
    Hi Jules
    Just wanted to welcome you and congrat you for starting the quit. I am a month and a half now using the patch. The first few weeks were easu, week 4 was my hardest. Now I find things pretty easy. I havn't tried welbutrin (zyban), I have heard varied reports.
    I have meant many people that have had good success rates with the patch. I think it depends on the person. My doctor put me on a month of each level so I am on the 14 mg now. I was afraid to step down but didn't notice any change when I did.
    I will be here to support you if you need me.
    Good Luck...keep up the quit.
    when a craving does come (they will) just remember the 5 D's delay, drink water, deep breathe, do something else and discuss....find a support group to talk to.
    They all worked for me.
    Sudzie
    here are my stats..
    One month, two weeks, one day, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 5 seconds. 1406 cigarettes not smoked, saving $316.48. Life saved: 4 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Sudzie,

Thanks for the encouragement! I am thinking I will stick with the patch for now- it is working well so far- I get cravings a few times a day, but they pass pretty quickly. The main thing I'm concerned about- like you mentioned- is stepping down to the next step, and when I should do this. I don't have a regular dr. right now so I'm not sure when is the best time... do I wait until I don't have cravings anymore on this step? Why do you think week 4 was hardest on you? Is that the week you stepped down?

Talk to you later and congrats on your success!
    Jules
    Day 2

Old 02-27-2002, 12:19 PM   #4
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Sudzie,

Thanks for the encouragement! I am thinking I will stick with the patch for now- it is working well so far- I get cravings a few times a day, but they pass pretty quickly. The main thing I'm concerned about- like you mentioned- is stepping down to the next step, and when I should do this. I don't have a regular dr. right now so I'm not sure when is the best time... do I wait until I don't have cravings anymore on this step? Why do you think week 4 was hardest on you? Is that the week you stepped down?

Talk to you later and congrats on your success!
    Jules
    Day 2

Old 02-27-2002, 06:51 PM   #5
    sudzie

sudzie HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi Jules
    gee I never made the connection that week 4 was the week that I stepped down. On the day that I stepped down I was ok. Maybe it was nerves thinking about it. I think that week I had a fight with hubby too so maybe the extra stress.
    I believe that you are supposed to stay on the high patch for 4 weeks even if you don't have any cravings. it will give you a better success rate.
    Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.
    Quitting smoking was the hardest but most rewarding thing that I have done. Its amazing the people that we please by doing it.
    Another thing, I don't know if you have small children . But I am a teacher and I can tell now the kids that come from smoking homes because I can smell the cigarettes on them. Isn't that sad that we sent out out innocent children out into the world smelling like smoke?
    Keep up the quit!
    sudzie

One month, two weeks, two days, 23 hours, 5 minutes and 7 seconds. 1438 cigarettes not smoked, saving $323.74. Life saved: 4 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:04 AM   #6
    Debra Noel

Debra Noel HB User
    Hey Guys, I have been smoke-free for almost 2 months and I am using the patch. I am on the nicoderm brand and have been following it to a tee. I was on step 1 for 6 weeks, step 2 for 2 weeks and now step 3 for 2 weeks. It is a 10 week program. I decided to follow the directions because I have tried quitting before and have been unsuccessful. When I went to step 2 I didn't really notice anything. But when I went to step 3 I noticed I was a little more irritated for that day. I don't know if it was because of the decrease or just a bad day. I can honestly say I haven't had any cravings for a long time. Occasionally I will miss the act of smoking, but then I think rationally. I also started working out 5 times a week and quite hard. I used to run, and have gotten back into it. That has helped tremendously because I am working towards some goals. Best of luck to you both and I suggest follow the patch's instructions.

Old 03-04-2002, 08:42 AM   #7
    Lbailey

Lbailey HB User
    Hi guys!

I have not had a cigarette since January 6,2002.I am a 42 female. I have severe pheriphal vascular disease, with NO blood flow to my feet, with no chance for a by-pass. I was told to quit cigarettes"now", or expect to be in a wheel chair in a very short time. ( 6 months).
    That night in the hospital, I started on a 7 mg. patch and Wellbutrin. Needless to say, my circumstances are different than most of you, but I was so scared, that I haven't had so much as a drag.
    I did the patched for a month, than got off. I continue to take the wellbutrin sometimes once a day. I think I just had to tell myself that I could do it.
    Not sure if it is the nictotine withdrawals or the health problems, but I am so depressed, that sometimes I can cry for hours.
    IT is very hard not to pick up that cigarette, but we can all do it... Good luck to you all, and please add me in your prayers, as I will add you all..

Old 03-04-2002, 03:00 PM   #8
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Lbailey,

I can sympathize. I am quitting smoking now for health reasons also- my teeth/gums are in very bad shape, and I have been in fear and anxiety for the past two months believing I will lose all my teeth. I'm terrified, but I know that quitting smoking is the first step I need to take. Since I quit, I have been on a kind of emotional roller coaster- sometimes I'm stressed and anxious- others I'm elated with happiness and pride for quitting- and frequently I'm depressed and lethargic. I hope this gets easier- I think it's really hard for people like us to be dealing with two problems at once... Keep in touch- I'm sure we can lean on each other!

Jules

Closed Thread