It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• What are the benefits of quitting?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
    GeorgiaPeech

GeorgiaPeech HB User
    Post What are the benefits of quitting?

Benefits of quitting

Almost everyone knows that smoking is bad for you but do you know all the benefits of quitting? For the vast majority of smokers, quitting smoking is the best single thing they can do to improve the length and quality of their lives. Persons who quit smoking immediately begin to reduce their chances of developing heart disease, cancer, breathing problems, or infections.

Former smokers also live longer than those who continue to smoke. For example, those who quit before age 50 have only half the chance of dying in the next 15 years compared with those who continue to smoke.

Women who stop smoking before pregnancy or early in their pregnancy reduce their chances of having a low birth weight baby. Quitting can also reduce the chances of stillbirth, early infant death, and improve the health of the woman.

Within 8 hours

carbon monoxide level drops in your body
    oxygen level in your blood increases to normal

Within 48 hours

your chances of having a heart attack start to go down
    sense of smell and taste begin to improve

Within 72 hours

bronchial tubes relax making breathing easier
    lung capacity increases

Within 2 weeks to 3 months

circulation improves
    lung functioning increases up to 30%

Within 6 months

coughing, sinus congestion, tiredness and shortness of breath improve

Within 1 year

risk of smoking-related heart attack is cut in half

Within 10 years

risk of dying from lung cancer is cut in half

Within 15 years

risk of dying from a heart attack is equal to a person who never smoked.

Does every smoker benefit by quitting?

The health benefits of quitting occur for all types of smokers, men and women, young and old. Even those who have developed smoking-related problems like heart disease can benefit. For example, compared to continuing smokers, people who quit smoking after having a heart attack reduce their chances of having another heart attack by 50%. They also reduce their risk of dying prematurely by 50%.

What are the other benefits of quitting?

Although reducing your chances of premature death and illness is important, they aren't the only benefits of quitting smoking.

Think of the money you will save by not having to buy tobacco, lighters, ashtrays, matches and so on.
    Your costs for cleaning clothes, carpets, and furniture may go down.
    The re-sale value of your car and house may go up.
    Your clothes may last longer (no chance of accidentally burning a hole).
    Your life and house insurance premiums may go down.
    Your sense of taste and smell will be enhanced. You will enjoy your food more.

You will look and feel younger. Smoking causes wrinkling and the appearance of premature aging.
    You will have more energy to do the things you love.
    No more yellow teeth or fingers.
    You'll feel proud of your ability to overcome something so challenging. Many smokers remember the exact day they quit because it is a source of great pride.
    Cigarettes will no longer control your life. You will be setting a great example for children and other smokers.
    No need to worry about which restaurant you go to or whether you can smoke in a particular place.
    No more looks of disapproval or feelings of guilt. No more nagging from people asking when you're going to quit.
    The message is clear. It's never too late to quit smoking. The sooner you quit the better, but even quitting after smoking for many years will bring an array of important benefits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2003, 09:34 PM   #2
    surrealmeal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

surrealmeal HB User
    Awesome posting, i hope a bunch more people read it

Old 09-21-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
    luke1

luke1 HB User
    Great Post!

I just wanted to add this; I quit five years ago and have saved $15,000 by not buying cigarettes.

Closed Thread