It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board

• Almost 3 year old Speech delay & behavioral issues.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
    Montylin
    (female)

Montylin HB User
    Almost 3 year old Speech delay & behavioral issues.

I am not so patiently waiting to hear back from a local psychologist on when I can get my 3 year old son Tyler in for a evaluation.
    He has a major speech delay and says only a few words.
    I've waited so long to have this intervention because I've always just thought he would speak when he was ready and that he was probably just very eccentric. Now that I regularly watch my nephew whom is 9 months older than Tyler, I have realized there is much more going on here than I originally thought and I feel panicked.
    First I will list the signs as to why I didn't/don't think he could be on the spectrum:
    - He shows us things, wants us to watch him, wants us to engage him.
    - He will hold up a monster toy look us in the eye and say "rawr" to try and scare us.
    - If I make a silly face he will try and copy that face I've made.
    - He always looks at our reactions to things he likes or things he's fearful of.
    - He can tell the difference from when I am crying or happy and excited.
    - He gets excited to see certain people
    - Waves bye
    -Tries to communicate by grunting, whining and pointing.
    - He will do things like put on my oven mitt and open the toaster oven. (We've moved the oven out of reach after this once incident)
    - Will cuddle sometimes but not for long.
    - Responds 50% of the time to his name being called.
    - He seems to like his baby brother and has kissed his head and petted him but showshe little interest in him ultimately.
    -Does get excited when his cousin comes over.

So here is a list of the reasons why he does fit the bill of being on the spectrum:
    -Water obsession. He will play in this tiny stream we have in our yard for over a hour everyday in the middle of winter and I have no control as to making him stop. I've tried everything but it's something about the water that locks him in.
    -He will not sleep with a blanket on him and gets frustrated if we put one on him in the middle of the night. He will wake up and scream.
    -He will pick his lips until they are bleeding.
    -He is obsessed with snagged nails or hang nails.
    -He has to flip everything he possibly can upside down. He saw the movie Cars and the tractor tipping scene he tries to recreate with everything in our house.
    -Repetitive play as in smashing two cars into each other repetitively and then flipping them upside down. This is basically the only way he plays.
    -Only plays at eye level.
    -He does line up random things. Just the other day he took everything off of my mom's refrigerator door and lined them up on the shelf.
    -He seems to ignore us 50% of the time with name call and with family or friends besides my husband and I he will not respond to period.
    -He is aggressive while playing and tends to hit or push. He won't sit down and play socially.
    - He is very impulsive. Throws things or smacks us in the face hard.
    - Throws intense tantrums. Very angry and upset.
    - Wants to sit in the fridge all day long. (Not fully in just and the little fridge step)
    - Very picky eater. Won't hardly eat anything but potato chips, fruit and peanut butter.
    - Very little interest in baby brother aside from the occasional kiss or pat on the head.
    - Can not take my eyes off of him. He is dangerous to himself.
    - He does a teeth chatted when he's excited and when he's really excited or frustrated he tenses up his whole body and shakes on purpose and then either laughs or yells.
    -Kids don't like playing with him because he is so aggressive and pushy.

He's really a good boy though, he's sweet. He will hug and kiss us and sometimes snuggle.
    So I am very conflicted. Any hint as to what the issue could be is appreciated and I will take it with a grain of salt.

His hearing as been checked. When he was a baby we had a test done.
    He's not quite three. He willc be three in one month.
    Name has been changed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    Re: Almost 3 year old Speech delay & behavioral issues.

Have you contacted the local school district? They have to evaluate your son and provide an appropriate program for children age 3-5. I would reccinend requesting an evaluation by a neuro developmental evaluation or a neurological. Remember with the correct early help, great progress can be made. Was your son receiving early intervention services?

Reply Reply