It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board

• sudden onset of lisping in adult - stroke?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
    aphid
    (female)

aphid HB User
    sudden onset of lisping in adult - stroke?

Twice recently my husband has started lisping in the middle of a conversation. Suddenly and dramatically. Both times it resolved itself within an hour or less. Could it be a transient ischemic attack? (mini stroke)

But here's the strange part: he could not tell that he was lisping. He couldn't hear himself turning his S's into TH's.

He says that he lisped and pronounced other sounds wrong in childhood and went to a speech therapist, and back then, he couldn't hear his mistakes until the therapist played his voice back to him from a tape recorder. Is that common? And now, in his early 40's, he suddenly starts lisping, and he can't tell the difference between his S's and TH's?

His hearing is fine. His speech is usually clear -- a little fast and mumbly, but clear. Any experts out there who can tell me what could be going on? Stroke websites list symptoms such as "difficulty speaking, slurring words", but nothing about lisping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: sudden onset of lisping in adult - stroke?

I say it's time for a check up. I tend to agree with you that it could be a TIA. It might be MS..... or it could be nothing, since this is something he has dealt with before. Hope all goes well.

Reply Reply