It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board

• Intermittent Speech Disorder

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
    JasonYZ
    (male)

JasonYZ HB User
    Intermittent Speech Disorder

I've had this rare condition for as long as I can remember and have seen many doctors. Unfortunately none of them have seen another patient like me and none of them could figure out what the problem is. Basically I have trouble speaking for a day or two every week. I would have 2-3 good days when I have no trouble at all, very chatty and eloquent. Then slowly I can feel the eloquence slipping away over a few hours. Then I would have 1-2 days when I struggle to find the right words and often have to speak very slowly to make any sense. Then usually after a night of sleep I'm back to normal. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Intermittent Speech Disorder

Hi Jason, and welcome.
    I don't have your problem but hopefully others will respond to your post. Have you had a brain scan? Are the doctors just saying "you are fine" ? Do you have sleep issues and notice that on days where you've had good sleep that your speech is intact? I'm just wondering if this is some sort of generic "brain fog" or if it's something more serious. Have you had your blood tested? Wondering if your iron is adequate? Do you have any other symptoms other than being inarticulate when you have your off days?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
    JasonYZ
    (male)

JasonYZ HB User

Thanks for the reply. I've had several MRIs and CT scans and the doctors found nothing. On my off days, I'm definitely more sluggish and generally slower in everything. I do not know whether my iron is adequate. Would that cause the speech impairment?

Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Anemia can cause slurring of speech, but I'm not sure if it addresses your exact need.

Reply Reply

Tags
    rare case, rare disease, speech delay, speech problems, speech therapy