HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Speech & Language Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/speech-language-disorders/)
-   -   Help! I'm having trouble speaking (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/speech-language-disorders/942437-help-im-having-trouble-speaking.html)

scott3000 03-12-2013 08:20 PM

Help! I'm having trouble speaking

Ever since the end of December, I've been having trouble speaking properly. I've never had this problem before in my life, but it has not went away since it developed. My problem is hard to describe, but I'll try my best. When I try to talk to someone, it's like my mouth sort of locks up and I can't project right, and if I try to speak normally my lip can quiver and it will look really weird. It's almost like a tight feeling in my mouth. Sometimes this doesn't happen (when I manage to forget about it somehow) but usually it does. I have no problem with language itself, it's just getting the words to come out of my mouth. I'm not sure if anyone notices my problem, but it has been ruining my life the last few months and I've been afraid to talk. Does anyone know what this is? I feel helpless that I can't do something as simple as talking. Also, this is sometimes coupled with excessive swallowing but not always. Is there anything I can do to stop this???

molly644 03-13-2013 06:43 AM

Re: Help! I'm having trouble speaking

Do you have a thyroid condition. ?

molly644 03-13-2013 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=scott3000;5146026]Ever since the end of December, I've been having trouble speaking properly. I've never had this problem before in my life, but it has not went away since it developed. My problem is hard to describe, but I'll try my best. When I try to talk to someone, it's like my mouth sort of locks up and I can't project right, and if I try to speak normally my lip can quiver and it will look really weird. It's almost like a tight feeling in my mouth. Sometimes this doesn't happen (when I manage to forget about it somehow) but usually it does. I have no problem with language itself, it's just getting the words to come out of my mouth. I'm not sure if anyone notices my problem, but it has been ruining my life the last few months and I've been afraid to talk. Does anyone know what this is? I feel helpless that I can't do something as simple as talking. Also, this is sometimes coupled with excessive swallowing but not always. Is there anything I can do to stop this???[/QUOTE]
Do you have a thyroid condition. ?

scott3000 03-13-2013 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=molly644;5146182]Do you have a thyroid condition. ?[/QUOTE]
no, it seems to just be a mental thing because occasionally I'm lucky enough to forget and speak normally.

MonkeysOnStrike 04-03-2013 03:31 AM

[QUOTE=scott3000;5146353]no, it seems to just be a mental thing because occasionally I'm lucky enough to forget and speak normally.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're thinking too much, could could be a symptom of anxiety.

Sandy Caregiver 07-20-2013 08:15 AM

I know this sounds weird, but this is a serious question. What happens when you do the thing where you are like a ventriloquist and you smile showing your teeth and talk without moving your lips?

bewillin 09-07-2013 10:25 AM

Have you been to a speech pathologist? It sounds like that would be the place to start. If you live near a university that has a speech and hearing clinic, you could call the clinic and make an appointment for an evaluation. It is cheaper than going to a private therapist...which is another option.

The American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) also has on-line references (articles) that you may find helpful.

If your issue is not due to a traumatic accident (head injury) or a medical event such as a stroke, I would call a speech pathologist.