It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Speech & Language Disorders Message Board

• Breathy, Weak, Unclear Voice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
    Kenshin13
    (male)

Kenshin13 HB User
    Breathy, Weak, Unclear Voice

I actually have quite a lot to write, I just hope someone out there has any experience with the issues I've got at the moment.

I'm currently receiving speech and language therapy. Specifically what I have been working on in my lessons are breath support to start with.

The problems I'm having is, my voice seems very breathy like some voice and some air, when I hear people speak it seems to effortless, it seems to be all converted to voice so it's clear.
    If I try to speak effortlessly by pushing using my diaphragm, it feels like I'm just pushing breath through my vocal chords with just some voice, so it's not very clear. This is especially troublesome in loud environments like bars or pubs.

What I found I end up doing is tensing my jaw or causing root tongue tension to try project not so much volume, but clarity, articulate words. But every time I try to do it, I end up causing so much facial tension, jaw tension and the base of my tongue is so tight, near the hyoid bone.

I hope someone out there will be able to help me out as to what I could be doing wrong. What doesn't help is how much thought I'm giving it. I know people not suffering don't have to think about it.

I also want to add, I've been to ENT which put a scope down my throat, apparently everything is fine, so I was referred to speech and language therapy.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Kenshin13; 09-21-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Adding extra in

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: Breathy, Weak, Unclear Voice

I saw an article about a woman who had the same problem. They fixed it with Botox. Apparently her vocal chords were spasming when she tried to speak and the Botox relaxed them and cured the problem. I think you need another ENT who is up to date with newer therapies. Hope this helps, Sera

Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
    Kenshin13
    (male)

Kenshin13 HB User

Thanks Seraph for replying. I will see if I can be referred back, the problem is I'm in the UK private is quite expensive so using the NHS. With so many applicants I feel they don't tend to listen as much and are quick to just get you out the door and palm you off. I feel this maybe a thing that I will definitely need to go private for if I'm going to find a resolution.

I'll discuss it with my speech and language therapist and see what she thinks about it.
    if anyone else has something to add I am all ears to it.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
    Kenshin13
    (male)

Kenshin13 HB User

Just to update, I may have had a breakthrough with the voice problem.
    Because I have allergies, I'm guessing this causes my throat and my nose to produce mucus, sticker than normal. What I think is happening is it's stuck to my vocal folds so when I'm trying to talk, it comes out muffled and not as clear, no matter how much I try clear my throat. Then before you know it, my throat is tight from excessive swallowing and throat clearing.

So what I've been doing again is using Neil Med sinus rinse, but instead of what I used to do using tap warm. I decided to boil water, then filter it so it's totally clean. Then spend some time after just semi reaching to clear my throat totally. Sounds kinda horrible, but if I really try and clear my throat after rinsing, I end up getting some real sticky slightly mis coloured stuff coming out my throat area

All day today after using it, I've noticed my voice has sounded clear all day and less muffled and breathy/airy. I've also not had to clear my throat as much. If I have to do this everyday, I don't mind because it feels worth it to me

The following user gives a hug of support to Kenshin13:
    Seraph (09-25-2014)
    Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
    Telfast
    (male)

Telfast HB User

I am not really sure if the speech therapy will be any good to you. I have very similar issues with voice clarity and sound control. I have to speak loud to at least be comprehendible. Still people sort of ignore what I say as it is not in the right tone and words. Some times small tips can help. Have you ever tried beta blockers? If may just be a cause of physical symptoms of anxiety. Even if they are not beta blockers tend to help a lot in calming is down. In my case it does help. Inderal 10 to 40 mg is a usual one time dosage. Give it a try and see what happens.

Reply Reply