It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• T12/L1 Herniation - Migration & Sac Compression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
    DSTHWRTH
    (female)

DSTHWRTH HB User
    Thumbs down T12/L1 Herniation - Migration & Sac Compression

Hi everyone,

I just got my MRI results back and it seems I have a T12/L1 left paracentral disc herniation with inferior migration causing sac compression. Has anyone heard of this or experienced it. I get a lot of pain and tension around that area. I am wondering what the treatment options are. My neurologist recommended I schedule an appt with my neurosurgeon that did my L4/L5 fusion in 2013. Any advise/help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: T12/L1 Herniation - Migration & Sac Compression

It seems there is a disc herniation at the disc between T12-L1 that is pushing out just off to the left of center, and pushing into the thecal sac...which is the membrane that covers the spinal canal. Depending on the extent to which it is impacting on the thecal sac, there may be some cord compression or compression of the cauda equina, depending on where your spinal cord terminates. Either way, some nerves are being pressured.

The spine surgery usually begins with conservative treatments such as a course of physical therapy, oral medication, perhaps a series of epidural steroid injections. Surgery would only be suggested as a last resort, after other therapies have been tried and failed.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

What kind of symptoms are you having? I know you mentioned the back pain, but are getting any numbness or tinging in any extremities?
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
    DSTHWRTH
    (female)

DSTHWRTH HB User

For the last year or so I have been having a lot of nerve pain in my left side torso, left shoulder, left side chest. I went to my PC and he tested my heart, lungs, and referred me to my gyn for a mammo and ultrsound. All came out fine. I guess he never considered it may be my T-Spine making all this pain and discomfort happen. Overall I have 3 herniations in my C-Spine, 3 in my T-Spine and 2 in my L-Spine at this current time. But most of my discomfort is ion my left side.

Closed Thread