It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Food tastes terrible 8 weeks after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
    Grampf
    (male)

Grampf HB User
    Question Food tastes terrible 8 weeks after ACDF

On March 20th I had a 3 level ACDF at C4,C5,C6,C7 within 4 days all of the pain and numbness I had in my shoulder, arm and fingers was gone. Also the pain was extremely low and I barely took any Oxycodone or Flexerill that was prescribed by my Dr. Around May 1st I made a batch of Old Bay Seasoned Shrimp for my wife and I, I took one bite of the shrimp and my mouth "exploded" with a strong salty taste along with a severe burning taste. My wife did say that maybe I used too much seasoning. I am used to eating jalapeno's and there is no way that the Old Bay Seasoning was stronger. I then got some bread and put in in my mouth and it tasted horrible. I then took a drink of my favorite soda - Ginger Ale and my mouth seemed like it was bubbling and the taste was terrible. Long story short since May 1st all food tastes & smells horrible - mostly rancid. I called my Neurosurgeon's office and they told me that food tasting bad was a side effect that some people have from ACDF surgery. Finally my Neurosurgeon told me to see an ENT. I saw the ENT and he did a thorough exam. He could not find anything wrong. He said that there is a problem with my taste nerves and he felt steroids would help but he said steroids would interfere with the bone fusion from the ACDF surgery. My Nerosurgeon agreed, he said I could have steroids around June 20 (90 days after surgery) I failed to mention that this past Monday my dentist did do a complete inspection of my mouth and found nothing going on. I can get milk down and also mini powdered sugar donuts. I have lost about 20 lbs now and everyday I try tasting new things with no success. Can someone please help me? I am a lover of food, I am still in my Miami J Collar and I am restricted from not driving.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
    Grampf
    (male)

Grampf HB User
    Re: Food tastes terrible 8 weeks after ACDF

I solved my problem with terrible taste after the ACDF surgery, it turned out that I had a back molar tooth that had a crown on it and also it had a root canal done on it. My gums around this tooth had been sore for quite sometime,I went to see an Oral Surgeon and he took an X-ray and found that I had a deep abscess under the tooth. He then extracted the tooth and the terrible taste was extremely concentrated after the tooth was out. After about 3 days from the tooth extraction I was back to eating normal again.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
    TurtleLegs
    (female)

TurtleLegs HB User
    Re: Food tastes terrible 8 weeks after ACDF

That's great you had resolution!

Closed Thread