It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• What symptoms tell you it's time for c-spine stenosis surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
    JacksonJones
    (female)

JacksonJones HB User
    Question What symptoms tell you it's time for c-spine stenosis surgery?

My MRI says I have moderate to moderate-severe cervical stenosis at the C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 levels. My neurosurgeon wants to operate but I don't feel real bad...is there a bad risk of which I am unaware?

The following user gives a hug of support to JacksonJones:
    dustygal (06-18-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
    dustygal
    (female)

dustygal HB User
    Re: What symptoms tell you it's time for c-spine stenosis surgery?

Having had 5 back surgeries I have a word of advice for you. Until the pain get's so bad that you would lay down on the floor in your house and let them operate...don't! I hurt worse on my best day now than I did on my worst day then! If I had it to do over I would have never had the first surgery~

Old 08-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
    Eduard61156
    (male)

Eduard61156 HB User

Well, it depends on how narrow it is and how much it hurts. First they try to help you with conventional methods such as physiotherapy and massages. Main goal: reduce the pain.

That's the theory, though. For of course doctors and pharmaceutical technologists will make more money out of a surgical intervention. a surgery is not always the best options. So the first question you should ask yourself is: do you trust your doctor?

Last edited by Administrator; 08-28-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. How long one should wait before agreeing to surgery is a difficult question. While surgery should be the last resort, after conservative treatments have been tried and have failed, one can wait too long if a spinal nerve is badly compressed. This can result in permanent nerve damage. This can be difficult to evaluate, and is one reason why it is a good idea to get several opinions before agreeing to surgery.

A second major consideration when dealing with cervical spine issues is whether there is any spinal cord compression.

Closed Thread