It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Do You Experience the MS HUG or Romberg Sign?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
    SmileAlot
    (female)

SmileAlot HB User
    Smile Do You Experience the MS HUG or Romberg Sign?

Hello,

I have osteoarthritis, levoscoliosis and spina bifida occulta. Do any of you with your spine issues experience something similar to the ms hug (ribs squeezing the life out of you also known as the girdle hug) ... it can effect just a part of the rib cage or all of it? Also does any of you have a positive romberg sign? The romberg sign is positive if you can not maintain your balance when closing your eyes for one minute. Or any other balance issues? Such as not being able to walk a straight line?

I have all of the above and have been ruled out for basically everything and am curious if any of the symptoms above can be caused by a spine disorder and if yes what kind? What's it's name?

Thanks in advance. I am just trying to figure out where these symptoms are coming from. Thank you!

~Brittan

Last edited by SmileAlot; 06-25-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Do You Experience the MS HUG or Romberg Sign?

I haven't heard of the MS hug, but the balance issues can be directly related to back issues when there is spinal nerve compression.

I have had three lumbar surgeries, including two fusions, and am now fused from L3 to S1. My balance is terrible. I have to be very careful in the shower as when I close my eyes to shampoo my hair, I almost fall over. Often at a restaurant, after sitting for a meal, I have a terrible time walking straight. I look like the after effects of a three martini lunch.

This is a result of the damaged proprioceptors in my legs from lumbar spinal nerve compression.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    I haven't heard of the MS hug, but the balance issues can be directly related to back issues when there is spinal nerve compression.

I have had three lumbar surgeries, including two fusions, and am now fused from L3 to S1. My balance is terrible. I have to be very careful in the shower as when I close my eyes to shampoo my hair, I almost fall over. Often at a restaurant, after sitting for a meal, I have a terrible time walking straight. I look like the after effects of a three martini lunch.

This is a result of the damaged proprioceptors in my legs from lumbar spinal nerve compression.
    I think the MS hug, is tightness around the waistline, or some kind of sensation. associated with MS.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
    SmileAlot
    (female)

SmileAlot HB User

Teteri66 ... Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if the balance issues was because of the spine. Thank you for clarifying. I too have the same problem with shampooing my hair but I am lucky enough to have a metal rail in the shower so I can hold on while I use my other hand to shampoo. Yes, same here with the walking issue ... I had saw my pcp today and I fell right into the corner. Then went to get my blood drawn and started to be pulled to the side and a women looked at me like I was drunk. So annoying.

Basically once damaged there is no repair and it will not improve ... that sucks.

The ms hug sensation (the squeezing rib pain) is possibly due to my levoscoliosis - my scoliosis got worse, so it starts to inflame due to the twist and weather changes causing this sensation/pain.

Because of all these issues the docs have been ruling conditions out and ms will be the final one but it makes me feel better that it may just be the problems I have with my spine and not ms. I thought this might be the case thus being the reason I posted here.

Will an EMG diagnose the damaged proprioceptors in my legs from lumbar spinal nerve compression? I am going to have an mri on my cervical and lumbar spine tomorrow - I'm scared what they might say.

Do you have red, swelling, burning, itching hands at times? This happens rarely but it still concerns me. My hands normally ache and swell daily - but the above symptoms is why they ruled our Lupus and RA.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
    SmileAlot
    (female)

SmileAlot HB User

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SmileAlot; 06-30-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I really don't know the answer to your question about the EMG. When my surgeon told me about my issues, it was more like "Well, given the amount of nerve damage you have, of course the proprioceptors are all messed up...." or words to that effect. At the time I wasn't really familiar with that term, so I didn't question him further.

I think if I did balance exercises faithfully, I could improve my balance...but do not know for sure.

Let us know how your new MRIs turn out.

Closed Thread