It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Headaches after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
    jmh94
    (male)

jmh94 HB User
    Headaches after ACDF

Hey guys. So it's been about a year since I had my ACDF surgery at C4/5

But for the past few months I have been having the most extreme headaches and they seem to stem from the base of my skull. I was wondering if anyone else has had this? I've read a few things where people said it had happened but I wanted to know if it was related?

Sometimes I feel like passing out because of the pain. I'm 20 and did my injury playing rugby so I am quite accustomed to pain but this is something else!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: Headaches after ACDF

I too have been having headaches. But mine are severe migraines. I was having them to my last operation of Sept. '14. Then they came back with a fury about 40-45 days later. My last surgery though was Anterior-ACDF @ C3-C4. My other 2 surgeries were April '13 Anterior C4-C7 & Posterior C4-T1 with fractured screws at C7/T1.

I am currently in talks with both Neuro & Ortho surgeons that they are thinking that the last(C3-C4) isn't taking & causing the stress to cause the migraines. I too believe that the C2-C3 has ruptured as well from looking at the MRI's I have had done at a different place & time due to a hospitalization that occurred Feb '15.

Have you been back to your Neuro or Ortho surgeons? What do they think? Had a CT scan been done? my Ortho wants a year in or right at it before he will commit to anything so I'm in limbo with intense pain. I have had Injections to the "occipital nerve" with little help(2-3 weeks).

I hope you find some relief. I do read posts on here. I just don't post on here as much due to some circumstances now. I wish I could. But if you respond I'll try to answer soon for you.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 AM   #3
    jmh94
    (male)

jmh94 HB User

Thank you so much for replying! And I'm really sorry to hear your story! That is so much to go through. Well I never had headaches before the operation so this all new to me. I would describe them as severe to a point where I feel sick.

I would say my first one was around 3 months post op. I have been back for MRI/CT scans to see how everything was healing. My pictures show that the rest of my neck is in fantastic condition so no one really has any idea why I've been getting these headaches.

I would say that they are worse when I have slept awkwardly. I try to sleep with only one pillow because any more than that and I will wake up with a severe headache.

Thanks again for taking the time out. The only way I find relief is taking tramadol because It knocks me out haha.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner? I sometimes find relief if I sleep in the right one. My sister has one that is sure plush. I find myself actually having a good night's sleep in it.
    But in our own bed (Memory Foam w/MF pillow) I too have the same problem as you. Has anyone suggested an " Occipital Nerve Block"? Just to see if it could help you? I have had 3 & seen relief from them for a period of time.
    You could be receiving some pressure on that nerve. I have been researching & seen that it doesn't just encompass the head. But also goes other places too.
    I do wish you relief.
    I go on 7/29 for a CT scan to check the status of my fusion.

Also glad that you can say a low dose med helps you. And has anyone thought of giving you Phenergan? For the sickness? You might also inquire about it.
    Again my best to you for relief.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
    roadiez
    (male)

Well..... More surgery getting lined up for me.

I went about 2 weeks ago for a CT scan. Went to the Ortho, the last fusion @C3-4 failed. We discussed it(2 Ortho-surgeons) & I. He's saying going to go in Posterior fuse C3-4. Possibly up to C2-3.

We will also go in and remove the 2 fractured screws @ T-1. Will be going down to the T-2 level & try to place pedical screws there.
    Also as before will be using my own bone from the Iliac crest, left side this time.

I'm writing this as I'm waiting for my appointment with my Neuro-surgeon shortly today. Depends on if he wants to go back in and make more room(Decompression) on my spine. Mine right now has very little CSF fluid due to basic heridtery nature & life's harsh use on myself.

Thing is after this 4th operation. I figure I'll have a $750,000 neck!
    Little bit more & I'll truly be a Million Dollar Man!

We have yet to even discuss the possibility of treatment on my lumbar area. So I know that I'll surpass that amount by far!
    LOL!

Well I'll try to swing by from time to time and give updates.
    Best of luck with all of you guys. I really hope that none of you have to go through this much as I am.
    I'm only 44 years old!

Closed Thread