It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Age of injury revealed by MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
    Jack101971
    (male)

Jack101971 HB User
    Age of injury revealed by MRI

Can an MRI show an old injury after it has healed? I have had 2 MRIs of the cervical spine and they show vastly different results. If I healed on my own, would A high quality MRI show it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Age of injury revealed by MRI

Welcome to the board. In part, it would depend on the injury. MRI will show soft tissue like discs, ligaments and the spinal cord and nerve roots. When comparing one MRI to a second one, you could see changes such as a herniated disc that has healed, or a compressed nerve root that is no longer compressed.

However there can be some variables if the studies were done at different facilities using different machines.

What specifically are you seeing that is different?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
    Jack101971
    (male)

Jack101971 HB User

The first MRI was of poor quality and still showed 4 discs bulging to different degrees. I work nights and din't have the correct terminology here with me right now. The second MRI was a more powerful machine and showed absolutely nothing,according to the radiologists report. I believe they are looking for the wrong thing anyway. The neurologist I saw has his diagnoses and reports all over the place. I'm waiting for an appointment at a much better Doctor.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
    Jack101971
    (male)

Jack101971 HB User

I will check the MRIs and tell you exactly what they say, after I get home in the morning.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:41 AM   #5
    Jack101971
    (male)

Jack101971 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. In part, it would depend on the injury. MRI will show soft tissue like discs, ligaments and the spinal cord and nerve roots. When comparing one MRI to a second one, you could see changes such as a herniated disc that has healed, or a compressed nerve root that is no longer compressed.

However there can be some variables if the studies were done at different facilities using different machines.

What specifically are you seeing that is different?
    C3-4; disc bulge with a large central disc protrusion effacing the thecal sac and contacting the ventral spinal cord, contributing to mild central canal stenosis. Uncovertebral spurring contributes to mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. C4-5; disc bulge and posterior esseous ridging contribute to mild narrowing of the central canal and neural foramina. C5-6 same as 4-5 with uncovertebral spurring. C6-7 disc bulge and posterior osseous ridging contribute to mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
    That was theresults of the first cervical MRI. The second MRI said absolutely none of that.

Closed Thread