It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Degenerative disc disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
    Simon6272
    (male)

Simon6272 HB User
    Degenerative disc disease

Hi I am seeking advice on Degenerative Disc Disease. I started having back pain 6 months
    ago, mostly lower back that was I thought muscular. After a couple of weeks of it not worsening but not improving I started over the counter ibuprofen with paracetamol. A month or so later I noticed that I began to experience constipation and the pain became more constant so visited my GP. I was prescribed Naproxen 150mg twice a day which then increased to double after another month. These gave severe indigestion so they were stopped and cocodamol given as pain relief. The pain persisted and worsened, it then kind of split. I had a sharp stabbing pain further up with a constant ache lower down tending towards the left side of my pelvis. I had an xray which I was told Disc degeneration to T10-t11 and to 3 lumber discs but not which ones. I was given Pregabilin150mg twice a day. At 4 months I started to get some heaviness in my left leg and pain to the hip also. The pain has tended to jump up a level every 2 weeks to the point I had to give up working which was 2 months ago. I've been referred to Orthopaedic Choices clinic for an assessment in 6 weeks time. I now find walking very painful to my leg and across the bottom of my back. The sharp pain between T11/T10 is extremely sensitive to any movement including breathing, constipation is still ongoing with trouble passing water too. My Pregabilin is now at 450mg per day but is not effective. I'm worried that I could have more serious damage other than the wear and tear my GP has told me. I'm unable to function very well at all as I'm constantly tired from mentally trying to block the pain. My GP is quite sure that my symptoms are all down to non urgent degenerative disc wear but I feel that I could be making the condition worse. Has anyone any experience that would alleviate my anxiety please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Degenerative disc disease

You will not know the condition of the. discs, nerves and other soft tissue until you have a MRI. X-ray will only show the condition of the bones of the spine and whether the disc space is narrowing. If you are having heaviness in a leg, and pain when walking, you may have some spinal nerve compression and/or stenosis as a result of DDD or facet arthropathy. You issues may be a result of normal wear and tear, but have possibly moved beyond that now and are causing issues that may need to be addressed. You may need treatment regardless of what caused the issue.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
    Lynn B
    (female)

Lynn B HB User

I have Degenerative Disc Disease effecting my lumbar portion of my spine. I also have the weak leg which was diagnosed as Drop Foot. I am having surgery the end of August. You need to demand a MRI and see a neurologist for a EEG to figure out what is going on. I hope you find answers soon.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
    Simon6272
    (male)

Simon6272 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynn B View Post
    I have Degenerative Disc Disease effecting my lumbar portion of my spine. I also have the weak leg which was diagnosed as Drop Foot. I am having surgery the end of August. You need to demand a MRI and see a neurologist for a EEG to figure out what is going on. I hope you find answers soon.
    Hi and thanks for responding. I've spoken to my GP regards to having an MRI and she is adamant that it's the responsibility of the orthopaedic choices clinic. As my symptoms worsen I'm only fed ever higher doses of the pregabalin. It was acknowledged that my lower back muscles were in spasm so was given diazepan but at the time I was working as a truck driver so couldn't really take them as needed. I have 5 weeks to my appointment at the orthopaedic choices clinic so just have to hope I can keep myself going until then. I could do with a better pain relief but I've been limited to the cocodamol, not just as to why but they are not at all effective. I hope that the surgery you have goes well and you are given a better outlook.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Truck drivers as an occupation have one of the highest rates of DDD. Have you changed occupations?

I am not familiar with Orthopaedic Choices clinic. Are you in the UK?

Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
    Simon6272
    (male)

Simon6272 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Truck drivers as an occupation have one of the highest rates of DDD. Have you changed occupations?

I am not familiar with Orthopaedic Choices clinic. Are you in the UK?
    Hi yes I'm in the UK. I have been driving trucks on and off for 20 years this time alongside farming but been full time for the last 6 years. Orthopaedic choices is more commonly called back clinic. It's a service that is supposed to assess patients need so that the correct treatment can be quickly applied. Only problem is that the waiting time for the initial assessment is 12 weeks. I have never had so much as a twinge in my back until 7 months ago. I had to stop driving as it was incredibly painful, plus the law regarding prescription changed this year. I am now off work because of my back. I also have 2 operations scheduled for my shoulders as they are troublesome.

Closed Thread