It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Arifical Disc Replacment, Cervical

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
    anok
    (male)

anok HB User
    Arifical Disc Replacment, Cervical

Hello Everyone, after suffering a neck injury that made moving my neck almost impossible for about 4 months, going throught PT, ESI, Chiro, and deep massage into the shoulder blade, im left with contstant muscle spasms in the left shoulder blade+alot of stabbing feeling. Trigger point injections last maybe 2 weeks in the shoulder blade than come back. MRI shows disc herination at C6_C7 pressing on the left nerve root according to the nerosurgeon i last saw. He diddnt force surgery on me, but said eventually my pain meds would stop working, ive alreadey seen a toleraence build up. He gave me the option of artifical disc replacement with some Titaninum discs, no fusion or hardware. Has anyone here had the procedere done? I forgot to ask him how long the last. Hea said 90% of the pain would be gone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Arifical Disc Replacment, Cervical

I would caution you to do your homework! Get several opinions, from both a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic spine surgeon, before reaching a decision. On the surface ADR makes sense and seems to be a better approach than going through a fusion surgery. However it is still a relatively new procedure in the U.S. and the long-term data doesn't exist!

Unfortunately, the literature on ADR tends to make it sound wonderful without discussing what happens if there is a problem, risks in general, etc. also, if you decide to proceed, be sure the surgeon has a good amount of experience doing the procedure. Just as with a fusion surgery, people who have a good outcome tend to be happy with the procedure.

Also, take with a grain of salt any talk of how much pain relief you will get from the procedure. Unless your surgeon has a fully functioning crystal ball, he is only quoting statistics based on studies that are very limited in the number of people being studied...and the time they have had the implant. It is impossible to predict how you will react to and recover from the surgery, nor be able to know what events may occur in the operating room or hospital.

Closed Thread