It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• PLease Help me with reading this MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
    Izzat87
    (male)

Izzat87 HB User
    PLease Help me with reading this MRI

Hi, my father was complaining of neck pain ,not radiating and no numbness in his arms, after doing an MRI , this was the report :

Cervical spine MRI
    Findings:

-Straightening of the cervical spine reflecting muscle spasm.

-C4-C5 : Diffuse disc bulge with broad-based central/left paracentral disc protrusion, compressing the subarachnoid space and abutting the cord,

encroaching right neural exit canal and narrowing left neural exit canal

-C5-C6 : Decreased disc height with diffuse disc bulge compressing the subarachnoid space and encroaching both neural exit canals

-C6-C7 : Diffuse disc bulge / posterior osteophyte complex, indenting subarachnoid space and encroaching both neural exit canals.

-No disc herniation or nerve root compression seen at other examined levels.

-No cord lesion seen.

his appointment is after 1 month , is this an emergent or something, or should I wait till the appointment ?
    thanks very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: PLease Help me with reading this MRI

Welcome to the board. You can feel comfortable waiting a month. While the issues may cause your dad some pain, there is nothing that needs to be treated quickly...particularly since there is no radiating pain, numbness or tingling.

The findings all fall under the degenerative disc disease umbrella. The intervertebral discs are the cushions that separate the bones (vertebrae) of the spine. They are mostly composed of "water" and tend to dry out as we age. As this happens they are subject to changes that include things like billing or herniating, flattening and loss of disc height. Since the disc is one part of a unit that functions together (vertebrae, disc, facet joint and associated nerves), when the disc begins to break down, it often sets into motion a chain of events.

One of the things to watch out for when one has cervical spine issues is whether or not there is cord compression. This is not an issue for most lumbar problems as the spinal cord runs from the brain down to the end of the thoracic spine and sometimes down to L1-2 in some people. If the spinal cord is fractured or impacted it can have severe consequences, including paralysis below the level of impact.

Your father's findings indicate that the disc herniation at C4-5 is pushing out of the disc space and into the space that surrounds the spinal cord, pushing into the cord, but not to the point that it is compressing the cord. In addition to the spinal cord, there is one other area where spinal nerves are frequently subject to compression -- the neuroforamen. In your report this is referred to as "neural exit canal" which is really more descriptive than the term foramina/foramen. This is an opening near the disc where the spinal nerve exits the spine to go out to innervate a specific part of the body.

In this case, at C4-5, the disc has herniated in a way that covers the middle area, affecting foramen on the left and right side.

The same diffuse disc bulge also is occurring at the next two levels....at C5-6 the disc is flattening and and at C6-7, the degeneration of the disc is resulting in the growth of disc osteophytes, which are like little bone spurs. Both things result in some pushing into the space around the cord and some encroaching upon the opening where the spinal nerve exits the central canal and goes out to the body. If this area or exit space, becomes too narrow, the nerve cannot function normally....this often results in the radiating pain, tingling and numbness if it is badly compressed. This is not the case with your father's findings.

I would imagine that conservative methods of treatment will be suggested such as a course of physical therapy, oral medications to address any pain and inflammation, perhaps a series of epidural steroid injections, etc. I don't see from the report that there are nerve compressions severe enough to consider surgery at this time. However the doctor may want to check periodically to be sure the spinal cord is not being compressed further.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
    Izzat87
    (male)

Izzat87 HB User

THANK YOU VERY MUCH , really appreciated !

Old 09-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Happy to try to give you some idea of what your father is facing.

Closed Thread