It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C2 through T2 fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
    morepower59
    (male)

morepower59 HB User
    C2 through T2 fusion

Ok, here goes. I was looking for some feedback before I had surgery last month, but couldn't find much. Back in 2004 I have C5,6,& 7 fused from the from. It was a good thing to have done. Numbness in my left are, and left leg were pretty bad. I could even feel it on the heal of my foot. My family doctor said that couldn't have been corrected from my fusion. He is wrong! It cleared pretty much all the symptoms up. I still had some numbness for a long time in my little finger, and some never went away.
    Now, current surgery. Again, I was feeling numbness in my left hand, and in my left leg to the point I was walking with a limp. I'm a very active man too, and in good shape (55). The local surgeon looked at the MRI's , and X-rays but wasn't sure he wanted to tackle this. I was referred to Pittsburgh. There the surgeon said I needed a frontal fusion on C3-C4, and a rods installed from the back from C2-T2. Kinda of a shock hearing this. I was very worried about my range of motion. So, on Sept 21st I had the front done, and on the 24th (same week) had the rear of my neck done. It went well. I was walking the next day after surgery, and feeling pretty good. It was a bit uncomfortable with all the staples, drain tube, but they did a great job with the med's. I was in the hospital for a week total.
    After almost a month now, I feel very good, but my biggest problem is not lifting more than five pounds until I heal more. I over did it a few times, and boy does it make it hurt. Don't over do it! It's not worth the pain, and I think it makes for a longer healing. I did get a blood clot in my left calf during the second surgery, and now I'm on a blood thinner until this goes away.
    I have more range than I thought I would from left to right. It's hard to explain, but you can somewhat feel the rods move as you turn your head. From up and down, it's not the best range, but you seems to make up for it, by bending your back. Just part of it I guess,
    I'm walking good now, actually went archery hunting with only a cross bow, do some work in my garage. I think it will be a few more months until I get back to where I want to be.
    I wrote this to help others give them my experience of my surgery. If you have any questions, please ask.
    Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread