It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• c1 thru c7 plus fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
    piperbill46
    (male)

piperbill46 HB User
    c1 thru c7 plus fusion

been 5 weeks now since had c1 thru c7 fused and then skull bolted to spine. lost total movement of neck but am finding ways to creatively do business so life is good. Had broken my neck as a child and did not know it and then after 30 years of army service got IED in iraq and aggravated the problem , lost feeling in fingers and feet couldnt hold onto tools ( im a powerplant mechanic) and my gait was terrible, kept running into walls etc. Spinal compression was degenerative and progressive so prognosis after much homework and many second opinions was the total fusion. when they got into the neck (they did anterior and posterior at the same time) they found the c1 broken so badly they removed it completely, used donor bone and two rods to hold it all together and lots of screws. have bragging rights to hardware now. was in hospital for 3 days and tremendous pain for a couple of weeks, still managing pain but back to work lightly and sleeping in a lazyboy chair. some difficulty swallowing yet but all previous pain gone and all instability back to normal, can drive but must use care as have to turn from hips to look both ways. cant look up or down, end result was 20 more years of quality life im 69 years old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: c1 thru c7 plus fusion

Wow. That is a big surgery, but it sounds like things are progressing well and I can tell you have a positive attitude. That is so important in recovering from spine surgery. Thank you for sharing your experience and let us know how you continue to recover.

Also, thank you for your service to our country. May the rest of your life be blessed.

Closed Thread