It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI help! Cervical cyst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
    Ms4keeps
    (female)

Ms4keeps HB User
    MRI help! Cervical cyst

Hello, I had an MRI last weekend and they found a cyst but I'm not sure how bad it is or the extent of the rest! Your help decoding the medical terminology would be greatly appreciated!

Tech: sagittal and axial T1,T2 inversion recovery and T2* images on high field 1.5 T MRI system.

C2-3 unremarkable

C3-4 symmetric 2mm annular bulge- end plate spur complex, degenerative disc narrowing and facet arthopathy result in low grade foraminal stenosis bilaterally. The posterior disc spur complex effaced the thecal sac. no cord impingement

C4-5 asymmetric 2-3 mm cannula bulge end plate spur complex, degenerative disc narrowing , uncinate process and facet hypertrophy result in foraminal stenosis, moderate right and mild left. The posterior disc spur complex impinges on thecal sac . No cord impingement. There is a round 4-5 mm cyst located in the right posterior inferior vertebral body margin of c4 adjacent to the end plate . There is a thin homogenous low signal rim and a small 1-2mm central homogenous low signal. Sharp zone of transition at the periphery of the lesion. The remaining marrow signal is normal.

C5-6 asymmetric left central disc protrusion extending 3-4mm beyond the Bertrand's end plates obliterating the left anterolateral aspect of the thecal sac and mildly impinging pun the left anterolateral aspect of the cervical cord. Combined with degenerative disc narrowing , end plate osteophytic spurring and uncinate process hypertrophy there is unilateral left side foraminal stenosis with impingement upon the exiting left c6 nerve root. The right neuroforamen is patent. Mild facet arthopathy bilaterally .

C6-7 unremarkable
    C7-T1 unremarkable

The veritable bodies do not show any compression fractures. The upper thoracic t1-3 vertrebal segments visualized are unremarkable

Suggestions of subtle low grade elevated t2 weighted and stir signal emanating from the intramedullary substance of the spinal cord from c3-6 . The cervico- occipital junction shows proper neuroanatomical morphology.

The surrounding paraspinal musculature is homogenous and symmetrical without atrophy . The prevertebral soft tissues do not show any abnormal masses or fluid collections.

Conclusion :
    1. C5-6 left central 3-4 mm disc protrusion mildly impinging upon the left anterolateral aspect of the cervical cord. Unilateral left sided foraminal stenosis with impingement upon the exiting left c6 nerve root resulting from disc protrusion , degenerative di narrowing, end plate osteophytic spurring, uncinate process and facet hypertrophy.

2. C3-4 and c4-5 demonstrate foraminal stenosis bilaterally resulting from the symmetric and asymmetric 2-3 mm annular bulge end plat spur complex , degenerative disc narrowing and facet arthopathy and uncinate process hypertrophy.

3. Suggestion of subtle low grade elevated intramedullary t2 weighted cord signal at c3-6 follow-through to a conclusion recommended. Consider neurological consult. Consider cervical spine MRI with and without contrast.

4. Focal 4-5 mm cyst in the right posterior inferior vertebral body of c 4 .
    Probable degenerative cyst adjacent to the end plate . Possibility of a primary Osseous cyst , primary or secondary Osseous lesion can not be excluded.

The End.

I had an MRI in November 2014 and it didn't mention the cyst.

I also had one in 2006 that said - not copying all of it -

C4-5 2mm disc bulge and spondylosis. AP thecal sac is 10.6 mm

(Complete c5-6 narrative)

At c5-6 there is some disc space narrowing and dissecation. There is a reduction in the AP dimension of the thecal sac to 8mm due to broad based 4mm AP X 11 transverse disc protrusion and osteophytic complex , which appears to slightly contact the anterior aspect of the cervical cord asymmetric to the left of the midline. There is also moderate narrowing of the left exit foramen, with probable impingement upon left exiting C6 nerve root. These findings also affect the anterior Aspect of the cervical cord along the emerging ventral root of the left c7 nerve. Two focal sites of hypointense signal intensity are seen within the c5 vertebral body , nonspecific. The patient does not report any prior cervical surgery , but the configuration would suggest a surgical etiology.

I don't understand that last sentence. I've never had neck surgery other than spinal injections for pain. Nothing more invasive than injections.

Last edited by Ms4keeps; 10-30-2015 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Adding more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread