It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5 C6 with Fusion - So far so good!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
    nyc51
    (female)

nyc51 HB User
    Smile C5 C6 with Fusion - So far so good!!!

I had my surgery one week ago and I feel great. Prior to my surgery I was scouring this forum for some positive outcomes, so I thought I would post mine now that it's behind me.
    I had surgery at The Hospital For Joint Diseases in NYC, it's part of the NYU Langone hospitals. Everything about this experience was exceptional. The organization prior by Dr. Young Kim's office team was super efficient and thorough. The morning of the surgery was equally organized and I was on the OR table right on time.
    In recovery, Dr. Kim said, "wow it was bad in there, lots of arthritis and bone spurs to remove to decompress the nerve". I wouldn't say he's the warmest guy, lol, but based on how I'm feeling, he's good by me.

All spine surgery patients get a private room at this hospital...what??? Awesome.

He also said my hip may be a little sore as they aspirated from my hip to get some stem cells to inject into the cervical spine. He said it expedites and aids fusion. Cool! I didn't know they'd be doing that, and it does feel like I got kicked in the hip bone, but just a tiny puncture wound and I'm all for the upside potential.
    I anticipated going home the same day, but in the end, stayed till late afternoon the following day, which was actually good since the morphine they give you after made me hurl and gave me a raging headache. So I needed that to subside. I live alone so I didn't want to rush out the door before I was ready.
    The first night at home was rough, I still felt nauseous, now from the Percocet, and my throat was sore. But my sister set up a crushed ice station, she'd put ice cubes in a ziplock bag, bang them with the flat side of a hammer and keep bowls of it next to my bed. Sucking on crushed ice was everything for me!!! Really helped. This does more for you than the pills!! Stopped taking the percocets by the day after surgery and was fine...the pain wasn't really worth the possibility of hurling. I took a couple of Tylenol whenever I felt some spasms or soreness.
    Soft collar / optional. I wear it off and on inside and if I'm going outside. Taxi's and crowded sidewalks make me nervous, just being cautious.
    I've been able to manage on my own since Sunday, being mindful of not lifting stuff that's too heavy, etc.
    I have no arm or neck pain and expect the numbness to dissipate over a few months time. Just limited range of motion and soreness as expected.
    Been doing Epsom salt & lavender bath each night, the moist heat helps the soreness and helps with sleep.
    Today I even took a trip to the nail salon.
    Tomorrow I'm getting acupuncture to help relieve the soreness and get the healing moving.
    Get as healthy as you can prior to surgery and then go for it. It's really not bad, and I'm so excited to be pain free.

Last edited by nyc51; 12-09-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: C5 C6 with Fusion - So far so good!!!

Welcome to the board. It is a happy problem to feel well after surgery as pain serves to moderate behavior, making it less likely that the person will do too much to soon. You should be aware of this and be very careful that you follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter or you run the risk of setting your recovery back or even ruining the possibility for fusion.

Continued good luck in your recovery!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
    MM1974
    (female)

MM1974 HB User

I'm having a ACDF on the 21st and it's nice to see that you just had surgery and are doing well. Thanks for the ice chip tip. I'm surprised the took bone from your hip without telling you. I'll be sure to ask my doctor. Good luck on your recovery!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
    obx808
    (male)

obx808 HB User

Great news for you and reaffirmation for me. I go in for the same procedure tomorrow morning. Best of luck during your recovery. Please post your (continued) progress.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acdf surgery, acdf. swallowing, acupuncture, positive outcome, post acdf