It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Sex post spinal surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
    Pepbell101
    (female)

Pepbell101 HB User
    Sex post spinal surgery

Hi, new to this so, my partner of 17 years had s5 L1 fusion over 2 years ago, following the recovery period we had a full sex life, we separated, by his choice, 18 months ago and a month later were back together and again full sex life. Over the last 6 months we have has virtually no sexual activity and the last 3, none at all. He says that he is losing 'down there', his words, but I'm wondering if it isn't an issue between us. No medication changes, nothing is significantly different. What I'm asking is, can this occur over time? I place no pressure on him for sex but I'm worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Sex post spinal surgery

Welcome to the board. Men can lose sexual function with a lower lumbar spine issue, particularly at L5-S1. However, after surgery and recovery, if there were an issue, it would be apparent right away.

None of us on the board are doctors...just fellow "spineys,"
    who share experiences and what we learn along the way. It is my understanding that if he had successful sexual performance in the period after surgery, it is very unlikely that something physical would be causing issues now. Any nerve damage would be apparent prior to surgery, or if something happened during surgery, it would be apparent in those early weeks of recovery. If there is minor nerve damage remaining post surgery, it tends to get better as time goes by. It does not get worse unless the nerve is compressed.

I think it much more likely that there is another reason, not related to his spinal surgery.

Last edited by teteri66; 12-11-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
    Pepbell101
    (female)

Pepbell101 HB User

Thankyou, I know that other members aren't doctors, but oft times, people going through similar have more to offer than doctors do. Personal experience counts for much in my opinion. So again, thankyou

The following user gives a hug of support to Pepbell101:
    teteri66 (12-12-2015)
    Old 12-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Yes. I agree. I just want to make sure new members understand that they aren't getting professional medical advice!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
    Pepbell101
    (female)

Pepbell101 HB User

More than fair and understood.

Closed Thread