It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C3-7 Cervical Laminoplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
    notw
    (male)

notw HB User
    C3-7 Cervical Laminoplasty

Hello,

I am a 60 y/o male of good health with cervical spinal stenosis. At c3-4, my spinal cord measures 6mm when it should be 14mm. Also have stenosis at 4/5, 5/6. Symptoms are headache in the back of the head near top of cervical spine, pain between shoulder blades and in shoulders and upper arms, as well as weakness in upper arms. Also have severe tinnitus which I hope may be somewhat alleviated by the upcoming laminoplasty on the 30th of December.

I would love to hear from someone who has had this surgery about, well....everything!! Gotta say I am a bit anxious about this whole thing.

Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: C3-7 Cervical Laminoplasty

Welcome to the board. I am sorry that no one has responded to your post yet. I have had three lumbar surgeries, but that doesn't give me specific knowledge of cervical laminoplasty. You clearly need to have the central canal opened up and laminoplasty is frequently done for this condition. As with lumbar surgery, recovery is often the key to a successful outcome. Be patient. Follow your surgeon's instructions exactly and realize that slow and steady wins the race.

The most common complaint in recovery is pain in the back of the neck, which can take awhile to gradually go away. Also, be aware that the nerves take or can take anywhere from 1 to 18 months to repair/rejuvenate. So don't be alarmed if you still have the same symptoms for awhile post surgery.

One tip I can give you is to work on relaxation and stress reducing techniques between now and your surgery. If you are relaxed going into the surgery, it is easier for the surgeon and anesthesiologist to do their jobs. I bought a guided imagery CD prior to my 3 level fusion and listened to it every night before going to sleep. I was skeptical that it would help but figured I had nothing to lose from giving it a try...I feel it made a big difference as both the nurse who worked with me prior to surgery and the nurse in the recovery room commented on how calm I was and how well I came through surgery and out of the anesthetic.

If interested, the CD I used was by Bellaruth Naparstek called Meditation to Promote Successful Surgery. You can find it and others like it online. If you order right away, ou should have enough time to prepare for your surgery.

I hope someone with personal experience with laminoplasty will see your post and reply.

Closed Thread