It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Central disc protrusion at c3-4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
    shoove2
    (female)

shoove2 HB User
    Central disc protrusion at c3-4

Hello.. I am new to this forum and are just looking for an opinion of what I
    might expect from this new finding. I have degenerative disc disease in both cervical and lumbar regions.. I had a fusion done at L3-4 and L4-5 is congentially fused. I also have a neurostimulator in the lumbar area.. At the top, I am post ACDF at levels c4-5, c5-6, and c6-7. New symptom is bilateral arm pain when i turn my neck either way. CT scan revealed the following at C3-4: There is a central disc protrusion present resulting in moderate central canal stenosis. There is uncovertebral hypertrophic changes bilaterally causing bilateral symmetric moderate neural foraminal stenosis. C4-5: There is mild left neural foraminal narrowing with no central canal stenosis... So, my fear is that the only real fix for this is to do another ACDF at C3-4.. Thoughts..?? Thank you for your opinion or sharing your own personal experience..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Central disc protrusion at c3-4

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you have had your share of spinal problems...the disc problem at C3-4 would not usually cause arm pain.

Have you ever looked up a "dermatome map" to get a general idea of which spinal nerves innervate which area of the body? Of course there is a little overlapping, but in general it gives one some good information.

Looks like a visit to your spine surgeon is in order. It may be that the stenosis in the central canal is not bad enough to require further surgery at this time.

What is your opinion of the neurostimulator you have?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
    shoove2
    (female)

shoove2 HB User

Thank you for your response. I should clarify that most of my pain is in my shoulder area and the base of my head/neck. I really like the neurostimulator. It has really helped my lower back pain.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

OK. That makes more sense for a C3-4 issue. Hopefully the stenosis can be treated with conservative measures.

Closed Thread