It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• CT Cervical Spine - need help understanding CT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
    vitablue53
    (female)

vitablue53 HB User
    Question CT Cervical Spine - need help understanding CT

Hi, I am new to this site. I need assistance understanding the results of a CT cervical spine taken a week ago. I've been suffering excruciating pain in the neck and between shoulder blades for quite sometime. Meds (Gabapentin 2700mg, Flexeril 20mg, Methocarbomal 1000mg, Xanax .5mg per day) provide no relief, PT, massage, Chiro only relieve pain as long as I am involved. It hurts to stand, walk long distances and sit up.

Nonspecific straightening of the cervical lordosis. Otherwise, vertebral body height and alignment are maintained. Nonspecific lucent focus in the C3 vertebral body appears to be associated with T1 shortening on MRI dated May 2015, and therefore most likely represents a hemangioma.

The paraspinous soft tissues are unremarkable.

No fracture or dislocation is seen.

Mild anterior spurring at C4-5, C5-6, C6-7.

C2-3: Central protrusion. Thecal sac is mildly narrowed to 9 mm. Left uncinate hypertrophy with mild left foraminal stenosis.
    C3-4: Right paracentral disc bulge. Thecal sac is mildly narrowed to 9 mm AP. Right greater than left uncinate hypertrophy contributes to moderate right and mild left foraminal stenosis.
    C4-5: Central protrusion. Thecal sac is borderline at 10 mm. Foramina are patent.
    C5-6: Thecal sac and foramina are patent.
    C6-7: Central disc protrusion mildly narrows the thecal sac to 9 mm AP. Foramina are patent bilaterally.
    C7-T1: Bilateral facet hypertrophy contributes to mild bilateral foraminal stenosis. Thecal sac is patent.

IMPRESSION:
    1. Mild cervical spondylosis as above and similar to outside facility MRI..
    2. Mild central stenosis at C2-3, C3-4, and C6-7.
    3. Moderate foraminal stenosis at C3-4 on the right and mild foraminal stenosis at C2-3 and C3-4 on the left.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: CT Cervical Spine - need help understanding CT

Welcome to the board. Sorry no one responded sooner. I personally deal with lumbar issues and usually post on the "back problems" part of Healthboards.

Basically to understand your MRI you need to be familiar with the term "stenosis." This is a Greek term for narrowing, and in this case it refers to a narrowing of a canal through which spinal nerves pass. When narrowing occurs, it can irritate a nerve or even compress it leading to symptoms such as tingling, electrical jolts, even numbness. In the spine stenosis occurs in two places: the central canal where the spinal cord is located, and in the foramen. These are openings located on the left and right side of each vertebral segment that allow the spinal nerve to exit the spine and go out to other parts of the body. A canal can be narrowed by a disc bulge encroaching on the canal, bone spurs, enlarged facet joints, tissue inflammation, etc.

This leads to the disease process itself which is referred to as "spondylosis." This is something everyone suffers from, eventually, to some degree. Sometimes people call it "neck arthritis." It refers to a degenerative process that affects the vertebral disc and facet joints and often develops as we age. This often happens in the neck when the facet joints in the neck become enlarged causing the ligaments around the spinal canal to thicken and bone spurs to form.

Spondylosis can narrow the spinal canal resulting in the compression of the spinal cord and nerve roots. At its worse, the compression can lead to damage to the spinal cord, causing symptoms such as weakness and numbness in the upper extremities, impaired walking ability and radicular arm pain.

The Impression part of the report provides a quick summary of the report. There is some stenosis in the central canal from C2-C4 and again at C6-7.
    There is some foraminal narrowing on both sides at C3-4, slightly worse on the right side, and mild foraminal stenosis on the left side at C2-3.

You might want to look online for a dermatome map. It will show you which spinal nerves innervate which areas of the body. You can look to see if your symptoms correspond to the spinal segments mentioned above.

Are you see either an orthopedic spine or neuro surgeon for an accurate diagnosis and plan for treatment?

Old 12-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
    Faithsister
    (female)

Faithsister HB User
    Re: CT Cervical Spine - need help understanding CT

Sorry you are going through all of that. Did you ever find out more about your hemangioma? I have similar symptoms especially c4-c6 dis bulge but I am more concerned about my hemangioma at the base of my skull.

Closed Thread