It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Mri in english

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
    Bathhouse
    (female)

Bathhouse HB User
    Mri in english

I had a cirvical mri done and have know clue what the terminology is, I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon already, symptoms are complete body numbness/ tingling, gait issues, burning sensations, no cold or hot sensations, hyper reflexes in legs, ect mri report as follows.... C1-2 has normal patent canel. C2-3 demonstrates min disk osteopathy complex formation with mild degree of left sided foraminal stenosis c3-4 level there is moderate disk osteopathy complex formation with mild bilateral formation stenosis c4-5 mild disk osteopathy comes and unconvertabtal spurring here's effacement of anterior and posterior csf space the discogenic changes of the anterior aspect of the cord without significant cord signal changes severe right foraminal stenosis and mild left foraminal stenosis c5-6 posterior element hypertrophic changes and disk osteophyte comexes , large central parcentral disk osteophytevcomex causing marked flattening of cervical cord , severe cane stenosis there is flattening of cord and cord signal changes likely basis of myelomalcia. Bilateral neutral fora mins demos server narrowing worse on right side . C6-7 moderate amount of disk osteophyte come and uncovertebral spurring with posteri element hypertrophic changes cord flattening is noted no signal changes bilateral neutral forming demonstrates moderate stenosis .c7 patent canal and foramen t1-2 is unremarkable as well

The following user gives a hug of support to Bathhouse:
    istitch4ever (01-31-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Mri in english

Welcome to the board. I will try to give you some basic info and point out a few things that you may want to do further reading on prior to seeing the neurosurgeon. I would also suggest you make a second appointment with a fellowship-trained orthopedic SPINE surgeon for a second evaluation/opinion as your symptoms are fairly serious and will probably require surgery at some point.

Rather than going through each level, suffice it to say that there is disc degeneration at a number of levels. As the disc begins to degenerate, it sets off a series or cascade of events that begin to cause nerve compression among other problems.

In the cervical spine where space is tight to begin with, when anything that enlarges in size, pushes on its adjoining tissue, it often results in compression of individual spinal nerves or, worse yet, on the spinal cord itself. The spinal cord and brain make up the central nervous system which controls the systems of the body and mind. The spinal cord carries all this information from various body parts back and forth to the brain. If the spinal cord becomes injured, the messages can no longer be carried successfully back and forth, and may become garbled or permanently disrupted.

Generally speaking, an injury to the spinal cord will have an effect on the area of the body below the injury. If your cervical spinal cord is injured you could have pain in the neck, arms, torso and/or legs...including permanent paralysis like quadroplygia while injury in the lumbar area would only affect the lower limbs...damage would not run up the spine....

You will note in your report that several levels are affected by "disc osteophyte complex." Simply put, this is a condition where the body lays down small bone spurs as the discs begin to show wear and tear. This is the body's attempt to recreate stability and make the segment stronger, but instead it causes the parts to enlarge and can end up pushing into a nerve or the cord itself. It can also take up space in the foramen which are openings located at each pair of vertebrae where the spinal nerves exit the spine and go out to innervate other parts of the body.

The process of the foramen and central canal becoming narrowed is called "stenosis." In the radiology report it will be assigned a rating as follows: minimal, mild, moderate and severe. Any time you see "severe," you can be reasonably sure that you will be feeling the effects of this nerve compression...pain, tingling, numbness, etc.

While foraminal stenosis is painful, when the spinal cord has something pressing into it, real trouble can develop including the possibility of myelomalacia which is a serious issue...and which is suspected at the C5-6 level where the cord is flattened and impacted. This is the level with the greatest "problem" and you will want to have it examined as soon as you can.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
    Bathhouse
    (female)

Bathhouse HB User

Thank you so much for your input, it made it sit easier to understand vs looking up every word I didn't know . I do go see the surgeon on the 11 and in the mean time my family dr said if symptoms increase to call asap they will get me into another very large hospital. I suspect surgery no mater what as the symptoms are effecting me basically from the shoulders down, starting with waking up with numb fingertips to tripping over myself in about 2 months time

Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Myelomalacia needs to be closely monitored, at least until it is determined how quickly it is progressing. I know someone who was diagnosed years ago and still has not required surgery so it isn't 100% given you will need surgery...but it is important to get in for an initial evaluation soon.

The 11th will be here before you know it. Please let us know what you find out...and try not to be frightened. Is your pain more pronounced on the right side or just bad all over?

Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
    Bathhouse
    (female)

Bathhouse HB User

rally no pain except on the right side of the neck into shoulder muscle. But I have all over numbness, tingling, legs start to shake by them selfs like it I have one resting on a step higher then the other, half the time I have to remind myself to use the bathroom, sitting isn't bad but as soon as I stand the best I can compare it to is fingernails on a chalk board through out the whole body . Well at least the shoulders down

Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Let us know what you learn at your appointment.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
    Bathhouse
    (female)

Bathhouse HB User

Seen the nerosurgen today. Surgery is in 4 weeks. They will be doing an acdf c4thrue c 7 and something about cages. I understood it when she explained it. Symptoms are in the air, if they will go away, she said they may deminish but said my gait (which I compare to a stroke victim)may not.

Closed Thread