It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical spine and balance issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
    Lynnfly
    (female)

Lynnfly HB User
    Cervical spine and balance issues

Does anyone know if the cervical spine and balance are related. Starting having balance and coordination issues a week after neck injury.

Mri reads:
    C4-c5: small central protrusion with minimal mass effect on the cord
    C5-c6: moderate left focal paracentral protrusion with mild-moderate mass effect on the cord

2nd Mri:
    Very mild diffuse disk bulge slightly asymmetric to the left contributing left lateral recess and neural foraminal impingement.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: Cervical spine and balance issues

Yes, the cord impingement can affect your balance issues. Boy can it! I deal with everyday. When you go to your Ortho or Neuro doctor either one will do a series of tests that will test different things pertaining to balance issues, bladder issues, headaches & so on.
    One test is "Zurich Claudication Questionnaire" & the "Hoffman's". Just do a little bit of internet research & I'm sure that you'll find a lot of info on balance issues.

Wish you the best on your journey & keep us informed on what you find out as well.
    PR/roadiez

Old 02-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
    Lynnfly
    (female)

Lynnfly HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have been living what seems like a nightmare for many months. " Regular" docs don't seem to know why I'm off balance. They think my MRI is normal for a 30 year old. Starting to lose function in my hands. Will see an Orthopedic surgeon next week. I'm hoping this all related to my spinal cord. I too have multiple white spots on my brain (unknown why). I see you've had surgery in the past. Do you still have balance issues? Did it improve after surgery? Thank you so much for your time.
    Lynnfly

Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
    Luv2rofl
    (female)

Luv2rofl HB User

I have balance issues also, as well as loss of coordination. Here is some of my MRI which doesn't appear correlated. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon and having NCS done this month, I'll know more then. My Neuro didn't think the MRI explained it.

The cervical discs show varying degrees of decreased T2 signal from chronic desiccation. Multilevel mild to moderate osteophyte formation is noted appearing similar to prior study.
    1. C5-6 mild degenerative disc disease. Right foraminal mild/moderate and left foraminal moderate/severe narrowing.
    2. C4-5 left uncovertebral joint degenerative changes with left foraminal mild/moderate narrowing.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

To original poster.....to me, the MRI report doesn't indicate that the degree of cord compression is severe enough that it should be causing balance issues. I am interested to hear what the spine surgeon thinks.

Did you follow up on " white spots" on the brain to see what, if anything, that might relate to?

Closed Thread