It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spine issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    Spine issues

I am a 60 year old female with a history of longstanding spinal stenosis. 14 years ago, I had a two level anterior foramenectomy without fusion due to bone spurs compressing the nerves and causing loss of function of my hand. The surgery was a success.

I have had increased pain throughout my necktie the past anout 4 months ago, I developed pain and heaviness in my shoulders radiating into my upper right arm. I recently started to experience reduced strength in my dominant right hand. A few days ago, I started to notice intermittent mild changes in my fine motor skills. I experience intermittent mild pain in my left arm and pins and needles in my left hand. Symptoms persist despite PT, deep tissue massage, Accupuncture, radio frequency ablation, trigger point injections, epidural, pain meds and muscle relaxers

The MRI showed reversed lordosis in the cervical spine as well as grade 1 anterolisthesis c3 upon c4 and c7 upon TI while the MRI from

C2/c3 uncoventtebral hypertrophy with moderate to severe left neural foraminal narrowing

C3/c4 left sided foraminal encroachment

C4/c5 c5/c6 . left disk oseophyte complex causing a mass effect on the ventral subarachnoid spaces abutting (not displacing) the cord

c/6 to c/7 degenerative facet changes with severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing and mild central stenosis. Marked spinal stenosis secondary to bulging disks and posterior osteophytes and bilateral foraminal narrowing

t1/t2, posterior disc protrusion

t2/t3 slight anterolistesis with posterior disc bulge. Disc appears to contact but not definitely compress the ventral aspect of the thoractic cord

t/3-t/4, I had right paracentral disc protrusion

One surgeon wanted to do a 2 level laminectomy with fusion, another a 2 level posterior foramenectomy, another 2 consecutive artificial discs, another a 3 level ACDF, a different spine surgeon 2 level ACDF and a neurosurgeon C6-C7 anterior foramenectomy.

The idea of a fusion scares me as I don't want to head down the slope of adjacent segments going. The laminectomy could result in C6-C7 palsy, I have significant facet issues and am hesitant about having a posterior approach which could increase neck pain. There is not much evidence about the longevity of 2 consecutive artificial discs and I don't know if the abterior foramenectomy would relieve my
    Symptons. Any insights would be appreciated

The following user gives a hug of support to roxygirl1:
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User
    Re: Spine issues

So sorry to hear about your new symptoms and the difficult decision ahead! I don't have any insights to offer, but I wanted to reach out to send you a comforting hug and let you know that I do understand. I look forward hearing more about how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Triestina For This Useful Post:
    roxygirl1 (04-13-2016)
    Old 04-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    Re: Spine issues

14 years ago, I traveled to a neurosurgeon in Pittsburg for a 2 level anterior foramenectomy without fusion. My pain level went from an 8 to a 3 and I regained full function of my arm and hand from the surgery. The neurosurgeon had warned me not to let anybody fuse me. He said that I would end up permanently disabled (domino effect). I sent the neurosurgeon my MRI. I am seeing him 5/16 and will have an anterior foramenectomy without fusion on the levels causing my symptoms. My recovery from the last operation was not that bad. I did not need a collar. I only needed Rx pain meds for 5 or 6 days. I was able to do short drives after 2 Weeks. My main restriction was no lifting more than 5 lbs until I had a repeat MRI and flex X-ray. Within 6 weeks, I was back to full activity. I figure that it makes sense to go with the surgeon who helped me without having to fuse me 14 years ago. If it doesn't help, I can go to a fusion next. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this surgery will help as much as the previous one.

Closed Thread