It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF in 3 days. Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    ACDF in 3 days. Help

I am scheduled for a C5-C6 C6-C7 on Wednesday. Some days the shoulder pain, spasms and RADICULOPATHY are not bad but other days, my arm feels heavy, weak and achy and I get the pins and needles sensation. I have to admit, there are times that I am seriously considering cancelling my surgery. I know that I have reduced strength and reduced sensation in my dominant arm but I am still able to function. The thought of a two level fusion scares the heck out of me. I don't want to regret doing something so permanent

The following user gives a hug of support to roxygirl1:
    istitch4ever (04-26-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
    obx808
    (male)

obx808 HB User
    Re: ACDF in 3 days. Help

I was in the same boat, roxygirl1. I'm now on my 3rd week of recovery since my C5-C6 ACDF. At this time I have no regrets. My doctor cleared me to remove my collar, drive and resume light work last Tuesday. I still get tired here & there but the pain and numbness is GONE! I hope you have a drama-free recovery. Keep us posted..

Old 04-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had surgery 2 days ago. The surgeon said that I had massive bone spurs and just disc fragments. My neck is so swollen now.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
    istitch4ever
    (female)

istitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB Useristitch4ever HB User

How we all HOPE, HOPE, HOPE your days will go better soon.... and within a week or so you will be better..... baby steps; three steps forward, one backward....keep going. You can do it.... Hopefully you'll be saying what obx808 was saying above soon, soon, soon. Evidently you could NOT live with the pain you had and it was a scary but necessary decision. You're a brave woman......and you can get thru this. This is the rough part. But this time, the pain will hopefully have a chance to get better.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
    obx808
    (male)

obx808 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roxygirl1 View Post
    I had surgery 2 days ago. The surgeon said that I had massive bone spurs and just disc fragments. My neck is so swollen now.
    Quote from my doctor during the post-op visit: "It was a mess in there but you're bolted down pretty tight now. Take it easy for 2 or 3 weeks."

2 or 3 weeks? I was expecting a much longer recovery, BTW. He sounded kinda cavalier but I had to defer to his experience, I suppose.

So how are things today? If they're even just a bit better than yesterday then that's good. Jello is your friend, doncha know.

Last edited by obx808; 04-30-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The swelling continues to improve. I am still NPO so all of my nutrition is through a nasal gastric tube. Thy may do a swallow study on Tuesday. I am hoping to shower tomorrow. With the drain in my neck, they are being cautious. I will definitely be in the hospital thru Wednesday at the earliest

The following user gives a hug of support to roxygirl1:
    istitch4ever (05-02-2016)
    Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
    gigi042879
    (female)

gigi042879 HB User

HI - I am scheduled to have my 3 level ACDF in August and was browsing forums for tips on recovery etc. Hoping your recovery is going well

Closed Thread