It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Synovial Cyst is Groin Pain I am having related

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
    PJ9077
    (female)

PJ9077 HB User
    Synovial Cyst is Groin Pain I am having related

I was diagnosed as having a synovial cyst by a neuro physiatrist. I had a procedure where he went in and drained the cyst along with that I had a steroid injection. Apparently he did not get much out of the cyst. The pathology report came back negative on what he did manage to get out.

On day two post procedure the pain starting coming back. Each day the pain level increased to where I am now a level 8 and sometime 9 and can barely stand the pain. My lower right back just above the buttock feels like there is pressure and is very achy. The deep achy pain goes into my right buttock and wraps around the lower groin area. The achy pain goes down my right leg and into my foot. It is a pulsating deep ache and I can hardly stand it. It also feels numb at times and I get pins and needle tingling. When I get up from laying down or sometimes sitting (when I can sit) I get this sharp excruciating pain in my right groin that doubles me over. I have to stay still in the doubled over position to let it subside before I can straighten up and walk. Sometimes the groin pain just hits me out of nowhere when I am standing.

On my follow up visit with my physiatrist he recommended I have a consult with a neuro spine surgeon. My appointment with the surgeon is in a couple of days. I feel very fortunate to get into see this surgeon who is very hard to get in to see. He is rated as "one of the best" in a very large healthcare system where I work.

I am taking 1500mg of gabapentin along with 6 ibuprofen a day. I am also taking hydrocodone. I fight the pain and only take on the average one pain pill a day because I don't like the groggy feeling.

My question is, has anyone else with a synovial cyst had all of these symptoms? Is the groin pain related to the compression on the nerve from the cyst. I appreciate any feedback and would love to hear from someone who has had these symptoms. Thank you.

Last edited by PJ9077; 04-30-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: editing title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Synovial Cyst is Groin Pain I am having related

Welcome to the board. You don't state where the cyst is located but I am assuming most likely L5-S1. Synovial cysts can be close to impossible to get rid of as they tend to grow back.

The symptoms you are having now sound very typical of a lower lumbar nerve compression. You can look online for a "dermatome chart" to see just which spinal nerve innervates which area of the body. Typical sciatic-type pain is often caused by a L5 nerve compression, etc. and L5-S1 issues can affect what is called the saddle area ( the areas of skin that would touch a saddle if one is sitting on one!). This can include genital area, buttocks, groin.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
    PJ9077
    (female)

PJ9077 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I was told it was L4/L5. I am anxious to see the neuro surgeon to see if he can pinpoint from an MRI I had 6wks ago. You mentioned that the cyst have a tendency to grow back, does this typically happen when it is surgically removed? Thanks again for your reply, I am pretty nervous and want to get as much feedback as I can before I see the surgeon.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

How are you doing by now? What did you learn from the surgeon?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
    PJ9077
    (female)

PJ9077 HB User

Thank you! I had surgery on 5/17 to have the cyst removed. I was very fortunate to get into see an excellent Neuro Spine surgeon. He removed 90% of the cyst and completely cleared out the canal. The surgery from open to close was 30 minutes. He said it is a very low chance that the cyst will return. Currently, I do not feel any of the residual pain from the nerve and I do not have any radiating pain. All I have is minor surgical pain where he cut through the muscles.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Excellent news. With some luck it will stay that way!

Closed Thread

Tags
    back lower spine, groin pain, pressure pain in back, synovial cyst