It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Is MRI really needed here?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
    jd74
    (male)

jd74 HB User
    Is MRI really needed here?

Had c5-6 ACDF in 2012 due to severe central canal stenosis. The levels above were herniated as well but surgery wasn't need there. I was diagnosed with cervical myelopathy. Tingling in my hands and feet have picked up more recently, and seem to be more a function of head movement or position.

If all it is... is just a little rubbing on the spinal cord... there is nothing to be done about it... I don't want to waist an MRI on that.

But if those other discs have now reached the level of severe central canal stenosis... surgery is needed. I know people who had spinal cord flattening with no symptoms until they started tripping all over themselves that they got an MRI and then when straight to surgery. I don't want to wait to that... that's seems rather risky.

Any doctor will order the MRI based on the symptoms... but I don't want to be that guy who has a cold and goes to the doctor to be told he has a cold and nothing can be done.

Who knows maybe this is an issue of lack of sleep, B12 deficiency...

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Is MRI really needed here?

If I had been previously diagnosed with myelopathy and knew at the time of surgery that adjoining discs were degenerating, and now was beginning to have tingling and other symptoms, I would want a new MRI to check on the condition of the spinal cord. Why take the risk that the cord is being damaged by ignoring the symptoms?

There is no other reliable way to get this information.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical myelopathy