It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Operative report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
    Operative report

I just got the post op report from my two level cervical fusion. Here is an excerpt :Of note, there was near complete obliteration of the disc space with very severe arthritic changes C5-C6. C6-C7. There were arthritis changes and exuberant osteophytic changes both anteriorly and posteriorly and in the C5 C6 and C6-C7 disc space

No wonder I was in so much pain for so long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User
    Re: Operative report

I am very happy all is going so well! How are you feeling now?
    Hugs ...

Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Triestina View Post
    I am very happy all is going so well! How are you feeling now?
    Hugs ...
    For the most part, I am feeling OK the neurontin has reduced the severity and frequency of spasms by my shoulder blades and into my arms. I just had an XRay today and a follow up with the surgeon on Thursday

Old 05-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User

I've been having a bit of trouble with my fingers in the past week; I may have sent an unfinished reply just now. Sorry if I did!

I was going to say that I haven't had the surgery yet ... BUT I have read that your type of pain is not uncommon at this point after surgery. So try to relax; in a few days you should hear the same from your surgeon.

I have just seen a neurosurgeon for a second opinion. You've been there, so you understand -- Orthopedic surgeon says surgery must be done with all urgency; the neurosurgeon says there is no need for any surgery. Oh well! Crap shoot, at best! 😂😂

Stay strong! A hug ... D

Last edited by Triestina; 05-10-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I am having a bit of trouble with my fingers in the past week; I may have sent an unfinished reply just now. Sorry if I did!

I was going to say that I haven't had the surgery yet ... BUT I have read that your type of pain is not uncommon at this point after surgery. So try to relax; in a few days you will see the doctor.

I have just seen a neurosurgeon who recommended against the surgery ... You've been there, so you understand. Orthopedic surgeon says that it must be done with all urgency; the neurosurgeon says there is no need for any surgery. Oh well! Crap shoot, at best! 😂😂

Stay strong! A hug ... D
    What reason did the neurosurgeon and spinal surgeon give you? It may be time for a third opinion

Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User

The ortho looked at my MRI and noticed the cervical myelomalacia. The Neurosurgeon looked at the same MRI and didn't see the same "level" of myelomalacia.

I am doing an electromiography of upper extremeties next Tue ... Need to bring results back to neurosurgeon for evaluation. Hopefully, it will give a reason for the issues I have been having with my hands.

D

Old 05-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
    roxygirl1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=Triestina;5417293]The ortho looked at my MRI and noticed the cervical myelomalacia. The Neurosurgeon looked at the same MRI and didn't see the same "level" of myelomalacia.

I am doing an electromiography of upper extremeties next Tue ... Need to bring results back to neurosurgeon for evaluation. Hopefully, it will give a reason for the issues I have been having with my hands.

I went to 4 doctors. One wanted to do a 4 level laminectomy, another 2 artificial disc, another a 2 level ACDF and another, a 3 level ACDF

Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User

[QUOTE=roxygirl1;5417296]
    Quote:
    The ortho looked at my MRI and noticed the cervical myelomalacia. The Neurosurgeon looked at the same MRI and didn't see the same "level" of myelomalacia.

I went to 4 doctors. One wanted to do a 4 level laminectomy, another 2 artificial disc, another a 2 level ACDF and another, a 3 level ACDF
    I have come to the following conclusions (valid for all medical situation):
    The issue largely appears to be "school of thoughts"; in other words, doctors have "their own" way to view the same problem. This has to do with a number of different reasons, such as their educational backgrounds; surgical/medical "comfort zones"; experience; outcome of surgeries/medical procedures they have done and/or seen ... So, yes, I will go see a third doctor to see what his/her opinion is. :-) D

Closed Thread