It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Changing head position affects blood pressure???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
    amf1970
    (female)

amf1970 HB User
    Changing head position affects blood pressure???

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board. Just a general question for those of you who monitor your own blood pressure at home. Have you ever experimented with using different head positions when taking your pressure?

I'm 45 and always had normal/low BP before the age of 40 (then it started to gradually increase). In recent years, it's usually around 130/90 or 135/90. But I've gotten a reading as high as 150/95 on occasion. I'm not on BP medication.

So yesterday, I was reading online about BP and found some article talking about brainstem inflammation having an effect on BP. So that made me wonder if the position of my head/neck might affect my brainstem. So I took several readings with my head in 3 positions (all sitting):
    1. chin down as low as I could get it
    2. upright and normal
    3. head back (but kind of slouching with bad posture...just letting the back of my head rest on my shoulders)

I am getting an absolutely consistent result. Here are results I took less than 1 minute apart tonight:
    1. 146/100
    2. 132/90
    3. 124/80
    1. 139/95
    2. 132/91
    3. 125/82
    1. 142/93
    2. 137/87
    3. 129/81
    1. 135/92
    2. 135/91
    3. 126/83

The most interesting thing is, with my head back, I get pretty good readings (BP is lower). This morning, I actually got 118/72. Has anyone ever heard of head position affecting BP? I found an article about a patient who underwent anaesthesia and was put in the "barber shop" position for surgery. Her BP dropped too low and it caused brain damage. Not a good ending to that story .

I'd be really interested to know if anyone else gets different readings when they do this. fyi, I have had a laminectomy of C1/C2 (no fusion). And I've felt like I have a pinched nerve or bulging disc around C6 or C7 for a few years (but still haven't gone in for imaging...which I know I need to do).

So now I wonder if I "really" have high BP...or maybe this pinched nerve or bulging disc is causing it.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread