It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Please provide your input

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
    FIVEACLOCK
    (male)

FIVEACLOCK HB User
    C5-6 Injury need advice

I was injured on the job, had an MRI of my neck and the results are: C7-T1 minimal annular bulge,,
    C6-7 broad based central disc protrusion w/mild stenosis 9.9mm. minimal bilateral foraminal narrowing due to uncinate process hypertrophy....
    C5-6 mild annular bulge and right central disc herniation with mild cord deformity and severe central stenosis 7.2mm canal severe right foraminal narrowing due to uncinate process hypertrophy with mild narrowing noted on the left. The injury was in Jan 2013, In 2014 ( other injuries from same incident)I had shoulder, bi-cep re-attachment and MCL scope, numbness in my fingers, toes, electric shock feeling in neck, upper back, armpit to finger All continued, after 3 years they found the above injuries by MRI and the Doctors have scheduled C5-6 discectomy fusion, should I be concerned of permanent nerve damage due to the length of time

Last edited by FIVEACLOCK; 05-19-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Cervical Surgery advice needed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Please provide your input

Welcome to the board. Since we don't have a crystal ball there is no way to predict whether nerve damage will be permanent. Generally speaking, the longer a nerve is compressed, the greater the possibility that there will be some permanent damage. However there are always exceptions to the rule...and sometimes a nerve that is compressed very briefly turns out to be permanently damaged. Try to stay positive and hope for the best...that's about all you can do.

Good luck with your surgery. When will it be?

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
    Trail stop
    (female)

Trail stop HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Please provide your input

I cannot tell you if your nerve damage is permanent. I had spinal cord compression with subsequent myelopathy back in 1999. After 3 years of various postoperative treatments and PT. they told me I was as good as I was going to get. Not true, I did get some better, not a lot but I could tell a difference. Dont give up. The hardest thing post op for me was waiting for the processes to improve, I can be very impatient. Keep your chin up and good luck on your surgery.
    Terri

Last edited by Trail stop; 05-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Trail stop:
    kevinl921 (05-24-2016)
    Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
    kevinl921
    (male)

kevinl921 HB User

Share the notion that there is hope as pain remains normally non stop each day.
    Have a dream surgery if I hit the lottery becasue insurance won't cover this one doctor in Texas

Old 05-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
    FIVEACLOCK
    (male)

FIVEACLOCK HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. Since we don't have a crystal ball there is no way to predict whether nerve damage will be permanent. Generally speaking, the longer a nerve is compressed, the greater the possibility that there will be some permanent damage. However there are always exceptions to the rule...and sometimes a nerve that is compressed very briefly turns out to be permanently damaged. Try to stay positive and hope for the best...that's about all you can do.

Good luck with your surgery. When will it be?
    July

Closed Thread