It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
    CheeseGuy
    (male)

CheeseGuy HB User
    Neck pain

I had a bad accident 18 months ago. Fractured femur, crushed pelvis, 8 broken ribs, punctured lung, back fracture, rotator cuff torn, gash on head and knocked out. Injuries are pretty well healed but I still have chronic neck pain, and headache when I wake and constant ringing in ears. Neck pain has gotten worse since accident. I'm on gabapentin1200 mg. tramadol 200 mg. Ibuprofen 1800 mg a day. I have had radio ablations on left and right side of neck, trigger point injections, 3 epidural injections but still lots of pain. I cannot rotate head to right and limited rotation to left. From the very start the back of my head hurt if I lay on my back. It felt like someone hit me on back of head with a baseball bat. I was immobile in a hospital bed at home for 16 weeks. I tried many pillows but none would help with the back of head pain. I just started NEUROMUSCULAR THEARPY MASSAGE. Has anyone tried this for neck pain. Thr thearpist said the muscles in my neck were the hardest he had ever seen.

Last edited by CheeseGuy; 05-23-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Neck pain

Are you under the care of a neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon? Has there been a recent MRI to see if there are any bulging discs, stenosis, etc?

If it is determined that the pain is coming from muscles and soft tissue, similar to a whiplash injury, then you can try things similar to what you are doing. Acupuncture may help. Other treatments to consider are myofascial release, active release therapy, and cranio-sacral therapy. You may have to do some trial and error to find a therapy that works for you.

I would start with myofascial release therapy. The person you are going to for neuromuscular massage may do myofascial release too. Researchers are increasingly finding that the fascia that becomes disorganized can be a source of pain, restriction, etc.

The fascia is a structure of fibers similar to a spider's web that surrounds and connects every structure of the body. Trauma, inflammatory responses, and/or surgical procedures create myofascial restrictions that can produce tensile pressures of approximately 2,000 pounds per square inch on pain sensitive structures that do not show up in many of the standard tests (x-rays, myelograms, CAT scans, electromyography, etc. ). Normally fascia is stretchy, but when injured it loses its elasticity, and becomes tight and restrictive.

You can look online to find a practioner and to read up on myofascial release, sometimes referred to as MFR.

Good luck. I hope you find some answers and relief soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    CheeseGuy (05-25-2016)
    Old 05-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
    scjibberjaws49
    (male)

scjibberjaws49 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheeseGuy View Post
    I had a bad accident 18 months ago. Fractured femur, crushed pelvis, 8 broken ribs, punctured lung, back fracture, rotator cuff torn, gash on head and knocked out. Injuries are pretty well healed but I still have chronic neck pain, and headache when I wake and constant ringing in ears. Neck pain has gotten worse since accident. I'm on gabapentin1200 mg. tramadol 200 mg. Ibuprofen 1800 mg a day. I have had radio ablations on left and right side of neck, trigger point injections, 3 epidural injections but still lots of pain. I cannot rotate head to right and limited rotation to left. From the very start the back of my head hurt if I lay on my back. It felt like someone hit me on back of head with a baseball bat. I was immobile in a hospital bed at home for 16 weeks. I tried many pillows but none would help with the back of head pain. I just started NEUROMUSCULAR THEARPY MASSAGE. Has anyone tried this for neck pain. Thr thearpist said the muscles in my neck were the hardest he had ever seen.
    DID you find what the problem was ? sound like the pain i`m having ,can not find a position to get any sleep ! from my neck and back of head hurting !

Old 05-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
    CheeseGuy
    (male)

CheeseGuy HB User

I had my second round of neuromuscular therapy massage today, but still no improvement. These are really painful, but I'm going to stick it out for 4 more sessions if no improvement I will stop.

Closed Thread