It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help! please can anyone explain CT scan results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
    ladybug5563
    (female)

ladybug5563 HB User
    Help! please can anyone explain CT scan results?

What does this all mean??? Any help greatly appreciated. Can some please explain this CT Scan so I have some idea what it means???

FINDINGS: Straightening of usual cervical lordosis. No osseous sclerotic or osseous loose lesion appreciated. The usual low attenuation visualized portions mastoid air cells. Mild hypertrophic changes C1-C2 with small spurs. On scout image, mild dextroconvex curvature thoracic spine. Anterior metal plate extends from C5 through C7, with 2 anterior screws, C5, C6, C7.

C2-C3: No significant herniation or osseous stenosis.

C3-C4: No significant herniation or osseous stenosis. Slight anterolisthesis, 1 mm.

C4-C5: Bulging disc/osteophyte, 1.6 mm. Minimal uncovertebral joint degenerative changes. Prominent anterior osteophyte with endplate changes and bone loss, superior endplate C5, anteriorly. No significant osseous canal or osseous foraminal stenosis.

C5-C6: Postoperative hardware and postoperative changes at disc space with incorporation of the osseous construct noted. Residual posterior spur, 2.2 mm, and mild residual anterior osseous encroachment of the canal. No significant osseous stenosis of the right foramen. Mild osseous narrowing left foramen.

C6-C7: Postoperative hardware and postoperative changes at disc space. Osseous construct does not appear incorporated to superior endplate of C7. The left C6 screw appears to extend below the inferior endplate of C6 to the osseous construct/C6 inferior endplate junction region. The right C6 screw extends along the inferior most extent of the vertebral body near the interface with the osseous construct. Residual posterior spur, 1.4 mm, minimally encroaches anterior canal. No significant osseous foraminal stenosis.

C7-T1: Broad-based posterior disc protrusion/osteophyte, 1.5 mm, left paramedian. Mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy. No significant osseous canal stenosis. Mild left osseous foraminal stenosis.

T1-T2: No significant osseous canal or foraminal stenosis.

T2-T3: Bulging disc/osteophyte, 1.5 mm, minimally encroaching anterior canal. Anterior osteophyte also present. Mild to moderate disc narrowing. Facet hypertrophy bilaterally. Moderate bilateral osseous foraminal stenosis.

T3-T4: No significant osseous canal or osseous foraminal stenosis. Mild to moderate disc narrowing with endplate degeneration. Anterior osteophyte.

T4-T5: Bulging disc/osteophyte, left foraminal, 1.4 mm. Mild left foraminal stenosis. No significant osseous canal or osseous right foraminal stenosis. Mild to moderate disc narrowing with mild endplate degeneration. Anterior osteophyte.

IMPRESSION:

1. Postoperative residuals C5-C6, C6-C7, with hardware as detailed above.

2. Osseous construct at C6-C7 does not appear to be incorporated to superior endplate of C7.

3. Posterior bulging disc/osteophyte, C4-C5, C7-T1, T2-T3, T4-T5, as above.

4. Canal stenosis: Mild C5-C6; minimal C6-C7, T2-T3.

5. Foraminal stenosis: Mild left C5-C6, C7-T1; moderate bilateral T2-T3; mild left T4-T5

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Help! please can anyone explain CT scan results?

What are your current symptoms? What as your surgeon said about the screws extending beyond where they normally would be? Do they feel that is a problem?

Last edited by teteri66; 07-15-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
    ladybug5563
    (female)

ladybug5563 HB User

Hi there, my doctor was out with knee surgery, so his replacement was there but was very evasive about my situation like he did not want to say too much, but I kind of got the feeling he was hinting around to surgery, but wanted me to wait to see my doctor and that wont be until late August. I am having tightness, pain, spasms, in my neck area as well as pain in my shoulder and in my chest area if I extend my arms or reach, arm and back also numbness in a couple of my fingers left hand. I just want to really get an idea of what's going on and what my options will be. Thank you so much for replying.

Last edited by ladybug5563; 07-15-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

OK. Well, I like the other doctor, am hesitant to say too much, but it would seem that a couple of the pedicel screws have worked their way through to an area where they wouldn't normally be. If that is the case, And if it is judged to be the cause of your symptoms, a revision surgery to remove the hardware would most likely be the next step.

Let me put into layman's language a few terms so you can understand the report, and any future reports, better.

First, in the cervical spine between C3-7, everyone has joints known as unconvertebal joints. They allow for flexion and extension and limit lateral flexion in the cervical spine. ....sometimes bone spurs form along these joints...which can cause arthrosis that can compress both the spinal nerve root and the vertebral artery as they pass through the intervertebral and transverse foramina.

Osteophytes are little bone spurs. As the discs begin to degenerate and a bit of instability is caused, the body's normal reaction to this process is to lay down a little new bone in an attempt to make up for this degeneration. Nice idea but in reality there is only so much room in the neck...and the osteophytes usually end up pushing into a nerve, causing some nerve compression.

Stenosis refers to narrowing. It usually occurs in two areas in the spine...the central canal which surrounds and contains the spinal cord, and the neuroforamen, often just called the foramen....which are an opening located at the end of the vertebra that allows the spinal nerve to exit the spine to go out to the area of the body it innervates. If a blockage occurs in either area, the result is a "pinched" nerve. Or if the canal or opening is narrowed, by something like a herniated disc or bone spur, etc. the result is a nerve compression.

One other thing you should know is that specific adjectives serve as a kind of ratings system. They are used to give some idea just "how bad"'an issue is...minimal, mild, moderate and severe.

Of course once one has hardware implanted, the images aren't quite as clear as they would otherwise be.

I will explain the rest later today....

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    ladybug5563 (07-19-2016)
    Old 07-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
    ladybug5563
    (female)

ladybug5563 HB User

Thanks I look forward to reading the rest of your reply.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sorry I didn't get back to you. One of my dogs had part of a paw amputated due to a melanoma...and it has kept me busy.

The impression section is like a summary of the report and highlights the most important findings.

At C4-5, the disc is bulging and there is a small osteophyte (bony growth). As part of the degeneration, there is an osteophyte growing on the edge of the vertebra that adjoins the disc on the front side, and some bone loss.

The next two levels show changes from surgery that results in some extra bone growing in the disc space. There is a little bit of stenosis in the foramen and some encroachment into the central canal.

To me the thing I would most want to find out about is the two screws at C6 that appear to extend beyond the vertebral endplate and whether it is contacted a spinal nerve. It is not necessarily a problem, but it certainly could cause problems.

The rest of the way down, there are small disc bulges and osteophytes that are causing a little bit of stenosis...or moderate stenosis as indicated in the report.

Let me know if you have questions or need something defined.

Closed Thread