It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help making sense of MRI results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
    Deeny
    (female)

Deeny HB User
    Help making sense of MRI results?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me make sense of my MRI results. I have an appointment next week, but would like to approach it with some prior understanding.

"Redemonstration of the heterogenously T2 hyperintense right neural foraminal lesion with enhancement of postcontrast images. The lesion mildly expands the right neural foramen. Measured 16 x 13 x 17mm 2016. 9 x 13 x 14 mm in 2014. 10 x 13 x 14mm in 2015. The lesion is inteimately related to the right verteral artery which retains the patent signal void."

Degenerative changes: "Multilevel degenerative changes of cervical spine, most prominent at C4-C5 and C6-C6 levels. At C4-C5, there is disc osteophyte complex formation and uncinate process hypertrophy, with slight asymmetry to the right. Effacement of the ventral thecal sac and mild spinal canal narrowing. Minimal right neural forminal narrowing. At C5-C6, there is mild intervertebral disc ostephyte complex formation and effacement of the bentral thecal sac. Right greater than left uncovertebral body process hypertrophy with moderate right and mild left neural foraminal narrowing."

"1. Continued increase in size of the right C3-C4 neural foraminal heterogenous and mildly enhancing lesion, compared to 2014 and 2015 cervial spine MRI studies. This lesion is expanding andthe foramen and most likely represents a slow growing benighn or low-grade lesion such as a nerve sheath tumor.
    2. Moderate multilevel degenerative changes of cervical spine, most prominent at C5-C6, stable.

If anyone can shed light on any of this, I appreciate it. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Help making sense of MRI results?

Welcome to the board. The most significant finding is that the lesion located at the right foramina at C3-4 has continued to enlarge.

In addition there are some degenerative changes noted at a number of levels. Disc osteophyte complex refers to the formation of osteophytes (little bone spurs) on multiple vertebrae. It is often a part of a degenerative process called " degenerative disc disease" that happens to most of us as we go about daily living.

Since the neck has only so much space, when additional things encroach into the area, the result is less room for the spinal nerves. This nerve compression that occurs as a result causes the pain and other symptoms we feel and experience.
    This is happening at several levels of the cervical spine, but is most noticeable at C4-5 and C5-6, on the right more than the left.

At C5-6 the disc osteophyte formation is resulting in the narrowing of the neural foramina on both sides and is also pushing into the thecal sac (the membrane that contains the spinal cord and fluid). The foramina are the openings through which a spinal nerve exits the spine to go out to a particular part of the body.

For example, compression at C5-6 might cause pain, tingling and numbness in a band that runs from the neck, across the shoulder and down the arm and wrist and into the thumb.(C6) Again, this stenosis of the foramina is worse on the right but also occurs to a lesser degree on the left side.

I hope you will be seeing either a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine or neuro surgeon for an evaluation and plan of treatment.

Last edited by teteri66; 08-08-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
    Deeny
    (female)

Deeny HB User

Thank you so very much teterri66. I so appreciate your time and insight. So kind of you. I'm most curious about the growth. Do you happen to know what the most likely treatment options are?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think it would depend on what it is...as long as it is not thought to be a malignant tumor, and as long as it isn't putting pressure on the spinal cord, they may just watch it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    neurological, spinal cord