It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck whiplash old injury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 AM   #1
    Znky
    (female)

Znky HB User
    Neck whiplash old injury

I nosedived from a height at a trampoline class 15 yrs ago, I put my hands out and landed in a bellyflop, my legs flicked up so my lower back was the main focus. But I got a bleeding nose so I am only just starting to realize this probably caused my neck to whiplash. I don't remember pain following as the focus was on slight scoliosis upper back and the stretched ligaments in lower back. But in the last 5 yrs I've had awful tight muscles in trapezius and neck which have not reduced despite numerous massageso, physio, chiropractic, accupuncture all guessing the cause & noone really got it. I always mentioned my injuries but never got a definite diagnosis.

Recently I had a xray through a chiropractor which showed my neck was curving forward rather than back. And c6-7 had a bonespur which I'm assuming was caused by the whiplash.
    What are my options now for treatment? I lost faith in the chiropractor treatment as it was very expensive and felt no relief after 5 weeks. I have a foam derma roll to lie on to try reverse the curve but I really want to know if there's any other way to help the chronic knots and everyday muscular stiffness. Is the bonespur ok is that vertebrae permanently damaged? Will I ever get relief!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Neck whiplash old injury

The cervical spine is supposed to be curved inward as is the lumbar spine, with the middle part, the thoracic spine curving outward. I wonder if the doctor mentioned that the curve had flattened or straightened?

In any case, you probably are carrying around years of muscle imbalance and ligament tightening as a result of the accident. The body learns to compensate to protect an injured area and this results in muscle cramping, spasm and structural misalignment. This muscle tautness can pull the spine out of alignment.

I would suggest you read up on the topic of fascia and find someone who does myofascial release. The fascia is layers of inter-connective tissue that holds internal organs and musculature in place in the body...like a big sticky spider web. When this fascia is cut, injured or otherwise becomes disorganized, it can form adhesions that can bind things together. Usually fascia exists to hold things together, but when it gets disorganized it can bind something together that ends up causing a stuck point...sort of like a muscle knot. If you've ever had a massage and felt great afterward only to have the tight area return within a few hours, it is the fascia pulling the muscle and soft tissue back into its former position.

I would suggest you find someone who can evaluate your body mechanics and structural alignment and then do hands on bodywork to release any focal adhesions you may have.

Closed Thread