It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bulging Disc chest Pain/burning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
    AliCheddar
    (female)

AliCheddar HB User
    Bulging Disc chest Pain/burning

I was diagnosed with a cervical bulging disc after MRI. I went to neurosurgeon and he told me it wasn't bad enough for surgery at this time. When I went to him I hadn't had symptoms for a month. So, I assumed it was better and really didn't ask many questions. The very next day I started having some symptoms again. No headaches, thankfully, but burning/pain under my arm that occasionally goes down the back of my arm to the elbow. I'm also having chest pains, but not a constant pain. . Almost like a piercing pain in the left breast\chest area,from time to time throughout the day. These have been symptoms for probably 6 months but got better until a week ago. A heating pad seems to help a little. I've seen a cardiologist before finding out I had cervical spine issues/bulging disc and the cardiologist said it wasn't my heart. So, my question basically is, is this normal symptoms for having cervical bulging disc issues? Here is my MRI result: c5-6 is broad disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left,mild narrowing of the left neural foramina, right is normal. C6-7 broad disc ossified complex eccentric to the left, .08 x .03 disc protrusion in the left paramedian position. Neural foramina are patent. Impression: multilevel mild spondylitic changes of cervical spine, most prominent at c5-6 and c6-7. Milder changes seen at other levels. So, the chest pain on the left and armpit pain and burning sensation, is this normal? Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
    dart110
    (male)

dart110 HB User
    Re: Bulging Disc chest Pain/burning

Did you lift any heavy weights? I am recovering from a similar injury and I get the burning sensation in my chest/back if I lift something heavy or put strain on one side of my body.

The burning sensation is most likely the muscles (called intercostal muscles) which are probably being over-stressed while your body is trying to heal. I don't want to give you advice as Im not a doctor but light stretching really helped my injury heal faster. Also obviously if your pain is caused by lifting or straining, your body is telling you to stop lifting/straining those muscles.

Goodluck, upper back pain is probably one of the most debilitating injuries...it's just not that common so people don't understand how bad it is...

Old 10-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board. Since you've had the heart checked out, I would also assume it is muscular. Chest pain as you describe is not typically a symptom of cervical disc issues, while the burning, painful sensations are signs of nerve pain.

When a spinal nerve is compressed due to a bulging or protruding disc, it can create pain by the spine or anywhere along the path of the nerve, thus, the radiating pain.

Even though your disc problems are painful, it doesn't appear that they are something a surgeon would want to address surgically. Look online for a "dermatome map" to see the area of the body that is innervated by which spinal nerve.

Hopefully with some careful lifestyle management such as avoiding lifting anything slightly heavy, maintaining good posture and structural alignment, paying particular attention when sitting, you may be able to get the discs to heal on their own. Another customary treatment is a series of epidural steroid injections to reduce inflammation and aid healing. A course of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles of the neck, back and core might be ordered as well.

You can try using heat or ice for the pain, whichever works best for you!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
    Salgal33
    (female)

Salgal33 HB User

Your symptoms sound very very similar to mine. I have never been sent for heart check-up, the doctors have always looked at spine.
    While they originally focused on thoracic, Neuro is now looking at cervical.
    But I too have the burning, electric impulse in my chest. I told the Dr it feels like I have a tens unit on my heart that someone turns on an steady pulse and keeps upping the intensity. Then it calms back down. But always feels like a knife is stuck in my heart.
    Waiting for appt for 2nd MRI...
    good luck!

Closed Thread