It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• alternatives to cervical discectomy fusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
    linkin01
    (male)

linkin01 HB User
    alternatives to cervical discectomy fusion?

My friend's symptoms are arm numbness, some malfunction of hand, dropping things a lot, some neck stiffness.

Diagnosis is herniated disks on the basis of an MRI made by spine surgeon. He said that surgery is 95% effective.

However, she is concerned about getting surgery (he recommended a cervical discectomy fusion). What alternatives are there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: alternatives to cervical discectomy fusion?

I would question the surgeon's 95% success rate...it seems a bit high...but, if there is nerve compression that is causing numbness, it is important to do something! Without knowing more it is difficult to say if more conservative methods would be effective, or whether she would be a candidate for disc replacement surgery.

When considering spine surgery, it is always a good idea to get several opinions. I suggest seeing both a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic spine surgeon...being sure both limit their practice to neck and back issues only. ( you don't want a neurosurgeon who does brain surgery, or an ortho who works on anything but the spine...).

If there is any spinal cord compression, she should be followed closely as it could develop into a more dangerous situation.

Closed Thread