It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• No sign of fusion at 8 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
    nt993
    (male)

nt993 HB User
    No sign of fusion at 8 weeks

Just visited the NS at the two month follow-up to C2/3 ACDF surgery. He showed me the X-rays which revealed no fusion apparent at the cadaver bone disc. I'm a little confused, because at the one month follow-up he told me initial fusion should be evident at 8 weeks. Yesterday he was not concerned by the lack of growth and wants me to return in another 8 weeks for CT scan when he now expects to see initial fusion. I asked him what I could do to facilitate the process and he suggested calcium supplement (I had been taking 600mg Caltrate tabs twice daily since the 4-week follow-up at his earlier suggestion-I know, I know, they see a lot of patients in a month). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I currently exercise on stationary bike alternating with walking on treadmill for up to 2 hours each day. (NS did not consider this too strenuous based on my exercise regimen at time of accident).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: No sign of fusion at 8 weeks

Welcome to the board. Sometimes bone growth doesn't really begin until sometime between the 8-12 week time period. Personally I would cut back a bit on the exercise. Perhaps it doesn't make any difference, but why run the risk?

I was always told that growing new bone cells requires a lot of energy. Since the body only produces so much at any given time, if it is being stressed in other ways, bone growth may be the thing to come up short.

Be sure to eat a nutritious diet and drink lots of fluids.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: No sign of fusion at 8 weeks

I almost forgot...vitamin D. Many people who have spinal surgery have low levels of vitamin D.

Closed Thread