It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Question On Artificial Disk Replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User
    Question On Artificial Disk Replacement

Hello everyone,

I have a question, and hope someone will be able to answer it, or point me in the right direction:

My orthopedic surgeon recommends an ACDF on 4C-6C. Is it possible to have Artificial Disks ReplacementS (note the plural), instead of a traditional "fusion"? He says it would only work with "one", not multiple disks. I am very much opposed to doing a fusion.

Thank you for any help!!!

D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Question On Artificial Disk Replacement

Did the surgeon feel your particular issue was not suited for a two level disc replacement, or is it that the surgeon does not do multi level disc replacement?

I believe the FDA is now allowing multi level ADR in the cervical spine.

I would suggest you get another opinion from a neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
    Triestina (10-01-2016)
    Old 10-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User

Hi T.,

Thank you for the information. About your question: I saw the ortho surgeon 3 weeks ago. When I asked him if I could have artificial disks instead of fusion, he said that I was not a good candidate for it, because artificial disks are for "single level only".

Yes, I will have a second opinion. Thank you T!

D.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think more than one level disc replacement is still considered experimental in the US. We are years behind Europe in this regard. Many people go to Germany for surgery if they need multi levels replaced.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User

Hi T.,

I have just found a doctor in the DC area who apparently, does multiple artificial disks replacements. I have made an appointment for 2 Nov. Can I name this doctor on the board?

D

Old 10-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It is always important to research a surgeon that one is considering, and this is even more the case when considering ADR surgery. As with any new procedure, there is a certain percentage of spine surgeons who are eager to add it to the services they provide and they do not always have enough experience to be doing it unsupervised. They attend one seminar and think they are qualified to perform this surgery. The outcomes from inexperience can be devastating. So you want to look for someone who has done the surgery many times.

Regarding the disc itself, The FDA has also approved five artificial discs for cervical disc replacement: the PRESTIGE® Cervical Disc System (Medtronic), the ProDisc™-C Total Disc Replacement (DePuy Synthes), the BRYAN® Cervical Disc (Medtronic), the SECURE®-C Cervical Artificial Disc (Globus), and the PCM® Cervical Disc System (NuVasive). At least one of these is only available for a one level disc replacement.

You can go on each of these companies' websites to find a surgeon in your area who does disc replacement surgery. Usually a doctor or hospital will use only one brand. And, there is a difference in their design!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You never indicated what issues you are having with your cervical spine. Do you have a copy of the MRI report?

Did you get any other "second opinions" to verify if surgery is necessary? I realized I jumped right in with comments directed toward ADR and don't really know what are your issues!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
    Triestina
    (female)

Triestina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    You never indicated what issues you are having with your cervical spine. Do you have a copy of the MRI report?

Did you get any other "second opinions" to verify if surgery is necessary? I realized I jumped right in with comments directed toward ADR and don't really know what are your issues!
    Hi T.,

You are right; have not explained. I have had severe pain in the cervical and lumbar spine for many years. The cervical one, from 1982 when I had a neck injury and fractured 2 vertebrae. The last 2 MRIs were taken this past Feb. and showed a number of issues with both parts of the spine, including "Myelomalacia" in C5-6. I saw a well known spine ortho surgeon and he said I needed to do a surgery urgently. I decided to wait; however, since then, I have seen a neurosurgeon who said the surgery could wait and had an EMG (negative). I have also seen the ortho surgeon twice since Feb and during the last visit (in late Aug), he told me I have developed "Myelopathy", as demonstrated by (new) occasional issues with balance, swallowing, not feeling my legs, and bowel issues. In my estimation of things, all, or some, may be coincidental events with various possible origins, but I have been paying more attention to the various issues I have been experiencing.

Right before the Aug visit with the ortho surgeon, I had read a short story about Artificial Disk Replacement Surgery, so I asked about it. This is when my doctor said that I was not a good candidate for it, because artificial disks are for "single level only". I agreed to the surgery (ACDF), but I started having second thoughts because the idea of loss of movement in the cervical area is very worrisome to me. That's when I wrote to the Board for information.
    D

Closed Thread