It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal cord??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
    Sammysue1972
    (female)

Sammysue1972 HB User
    Spinal cord??

I was just to my neurologist after a mri was taking of my very painful back. I have disk degeneration and he wants to put off surgery for a few years. But he told me I also have a extra wide spinal cord, he said I could of had this since birth.
    Has anyone ever heard of this? My spinal cord is extra thick...

The following user gives a hug of support to Sammysue1972:
    Triestina (11-03-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Spinal cord??

Welcome to the board. Without knowing more about your MRI it is difficult to say much more than to comment on the size of the spinal cord. I have not heard of a congenitally large cord, but it is not uncommon to have a spinal canal that is smaller than normal...and I would think the results would be the same.

It means there is less room than normal for all the nerves etc. that are packed into that tight space. It creates what is called " spinal stenosis." As long as nothing else goes wrong, which is almost an impossibility because there is a certain amount of degeneration that comes along with aging, the size of the cord would not matter. But, with degeneration comes change which usually involves enlargement ...which ultimately puts some pressure on the nerves.

It may mean that down the road you will need some surgery to try to create a little more room.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    roadiez (12-20-2016)
    Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Actually, the spinal cord ends around L1 in most people, and beyond that the spinal nerves bundle together to form the cauda equina. Are you sure your doctor was referring to the spinal cord or spinal canal?

Where is your pain?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
    Sammysue1972
    (female)

Sammysue1972 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Actually, the spinal cord ends around L1 in most people, and beyond that the spinal nerves bundle together to form the cauda equina. Are you sure your doctor was referring to the spinal cord or spinal canal?

Where is your pain?
    Yes he pointed it out to me on mri showing me the measurements of my.spinal cord itself. It is much thicker then the normal cords.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
    Sammysue1972
    (female)

Sammysue1972 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. Without knowing more about your MRI it is difficult to say much more than to comment on the size of the spinal cord. I have not heard of a congenitally large cord, but it is not uncommon to have a spinal canal that is smaller than normal...and I would think the results would be the same.

It means there is less room than normal for all the nerves etc. that are packed into that tight space. It creates what is called " spinal stenosis." As long as nothing else goes wrong, which is almost an impossibility because there is a certain amount of degeneration that comes along with aging, the size of the cord would not matter. But, with degeneration comes change which usually involves enlargement ...which ultimately puts some pressure on the nerves.

It may mean that down the road you will need some surgery to try to create a little more room.
    Thank you for explaining it to me

Old 11-07-2016, 05:45 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What are your symptoms and where are they located?

Closed Thread