It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Revision

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Cervical Revision

Hi there, I've been on here for a while. But haven't posted for some time.
    I've had 2 anterior & 2 posterior operations & now I just found out that on my last surgery I have 2 screws ant the T2 level they are loosening up & @ the C3 level it never fused(That operation was 2 years ago). So as of this point I have 17 screws, 2 more broken halves, 2 rods going from C3-T2, 1 cage, 1 plate 1 artificial disc anteriorly.... Has anyone ever had or been in discussion to have a cervical revision operation? I've had quite a lot of pain & some injections to the point that my PM Dr. doesn't see the point of any more. I am currently receiving injections at my lumbar area for pain in that section.

I appreciate any input from folks on here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Cervical Revision

What does your surgeon think should be done?

Old 12-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Sorry for not responding faster.
    He keeps putting me off 6 months at a time... Saying not concerned, let's see what happens, I'm sending a note to your PM Doc. Basically just brushing me off. I'm very tired of that & have tried to look up on the FDA Maude Reports. but yet to see anything. From what I know the Hospital & or Dr must report these things as well. I am just so tired of hurting & the pain from the neck problems. If you saw my CT Scan you'd completely understand why I am seeking advice on a Cervical Revision operation. I'll try to C&P my last scan for you.

FINDINGS: Anterior fusion hardware spans C3-C7 with anterior plate and screw fixation at C3-C4, a graft spanning the corpectomy defects at C5 and C6, and anterior plate beginning at C6 and extending to C7 with anterior screws. Posterior fusion hardware
    spans C3-C4-C5-C6-left C7-T2. Former screw fragments remain in the T1 pedicles and posterior vertebral body which are not currently interconnected with the posterior hardware.

Anterior fusion at C3-C4 has developed since July 29, 2015. Fusion mass within and around the cage graft is heterogeneous in attenuation, but appears more solid. Subsidence of the cage graft into the C4 inferior endplate and C7 superior endplate is
    similar.

No solid fusion is seen posteriorly at C3-C4. Solid fusion is present from C4 through C7. No solid fusion is seen at C7-T1 or T1-T2. The left T2 screw is loose and lies at the lateral margin of the pedicle and vertebral body, not fully engaged by bone.
    The right T2 demonstrates minimal loosening posteriorly.

IMPRESSION:
    1. Interval anterior fusion of C3-C4 and progressive fusion of C4-C7.
    2. Solid posterior fusion of C4-C7.
    3. Screw loosening at T2, left worse than right. The left screw is partially outside of bone.

Hope these help you out.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

When was the most recent surgery and what was done?

Old 12-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #5
    roadiez
    (male)

September of last year. 09/2015

I had:
    Procedure(s) and Anesthesia Type:
    * POSTERIOR CERVICAL FUSION C3-T2 WITH HARDWARE REMOVAL C4-T1, FORAMINOTOMY, LAMINECTOMY OF C6-T1. MOUNTAINEER, FLOSEAL - General
    * BONE GRAFT ILIAC CREST - General

They also removed the back portions(Head part) of the 2 broken screws.

This is the 2nd implementation of the "Mountaineer" instruments. I'm not sure if these things are the reason I'm having problems, or the doctor or both.

What gets me is it took 1-3 years to realize that the C3/C4 level posterior did not fuse together. I know of at least 3 or 4+ x-rays done post-op, 2 CT Scans, 1 MRI. To me something is being missed here....
    I'm sorry about that. I'. just so tired of the pain I'm in & think more can be done. I'm disabled now & am thinking if I can get a referral to a certain Ortho-surgeon in St. Louis or to the MAYO Clinic or a somewhat better Ortho Dr's.
    I really appreciate you help here "T66".

Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'll get back to you soon with more suggestions, but want to know a couple things first.

Do you have a history of migraine, or is this relatively new?

Has the same surgeon performed the surgeries? Is he a neuro or orthopedic spine surgeon?

Regarding the non fusion, I know sometimes it can be difficult to tell if fusion is solid, or not. Sometimes enough bone will grow that it appears to be fused. A friend of mine was told for years she was fuse. I kept encouraging her to see other doctors...who told her she was fused. I kept encouraging her to keep looking for answers because her symptoms indicated she was unstable at that level. Finally she found a spine surgeon who agreed something wasn't right.... he did a bone scan which revealed non fusion. Obviously bone scans are not done routinely due to the expense, etc.

They can do "hardware blocks" ( not sure what the technical name is) or diagnostic nerve blocks but I think the only way to know for absolute certain is through direct observation of the segment. Obviously they can't cut open a patient just to see if there is complete fusion!

Closed Thread