It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Stenosis Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
    ejf64
    (male)

ejf64 HB User
    Spinal Stenosis Surgery

Hi, I've got severe spinal stenosis in my L4-5 gap and my Kaiser doctor wants to try surgery, which seems to make sense given my symptoms. The surgeon will do a Mcculough decompression, which requires cutting through a back muscle. I've read a bunch about minimally invasive surgery, which seems much quicker, safer and has faster recovery time, but Kaiser doesn't do it, according to my GP.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments. Whether the MIS is worth it and if so, how to find it and get it done, without costing a fortune.

thanks,
    Eric

The following user gives a hug of support to ejf64:
    Triestina (12-21-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Spinal Stenosis Surgery

Welcome to the board. I can't tell from your post whether you have consulted with a spine surgeon yet or if the GP is saying what he thinks needs to be done.

I am not heard of a decompression referred to as a "McCullough decompression." Most patients don't know that McCullough is the name of a type of instrument that is used during the surgery...a retractor that holds things open.

MIS may not be appropriate for all types of spine surgery and/or for all patients. Also it requires additional specialized training on the part of the surgeons and specialized training for all OR staff, plus highly specialized equipment. Thus, it is not available everywhere.

When considering surgery, it is always a good idea to get more than one opinion.

Do some research online. Look up various spine surgeons, read through their bios and list of procedures they do, etc. on their websites or even call the office and ask if they perform MIS decompression. Whether it is "worth" it, I cannot say as I have had no experience with it...and it has not been around long enough for there to be any long-term, definitive research.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
    ejf64
    (male)

ejf64 HB User
    Re: Spinal Stenosis Surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. I can't tell from your post whether you have consulted with a spine surgeon yet or if the GP is saying what he thinks needs to be done.

I am not heard of a decompression referred to as a "McCullough decompression." ...
    I have spoken to the surgeon and he does do the mcculough decompresion, invented by mcculough of the instrument Fame I believe. I've done a lot of online research and from what I can tell an mis is the way to go.

My question is how to get more opinions. Kaiser won't pay for it and the one place I called wanted over a thousand dollars for a consultation, which shocked me...

Thanks

Closed Thread