It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Rhysotomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
    wise1man
    (female)

wise1man HB User
    Red face Cervical Rhysotomy

Hi. I had a cervical Rhysotomy on both side of my middle neck area 4 weeks ago and I am just having extensive pain now down into my lower shoulders upper back and lower part of my head. I had six shots, don't exactly know which nerves were being cauterized, but I had this procedure done two years ago, just on the right side of my neck and did not have any extensive pain at all. Is this common? Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Cervical Rhysotomy

Welcome to the board. I would say it is not common, but it is not unusual either. I have learned to never expect the same experience with a procedure on the spine. Different nerves react differently and you can have one experience on the same nerve one time, and a different experience the next time.

However, if I understood you correctly, the procedure was a month ago and these symptoms are just now starting? That strikes me as a little odd. I would call the doctor who did the procedure, just to be on the safe side.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
    wise1man
    (female)

wise1man HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. I would say it is not common, but it is not unusual either. I have learned to never expect the same experience with a procedure on the spine. Different nerves react differently and you can have one experience on the same nerve one time, and a different experience the next time.

However, if I understood you correctly, the procedure was a month ago and these symptoms are just now starting? That strikes me as a little odd. I would call the doctor who did the procedure, just to be on the safe side.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
    wise1man
    (female)

wise1man HB User

Thank you for answering my post. I have been in touch with the pain doctor, and two weeks ago he prescribed Neurontin for nerve pain. This has helped some but it still feels like shingles did and I had posthepatic pain from them for five or six years. Just praying that the Neurontin will continue to alleviate the pain daily without any side effects. Thank you once again for your concern and your answers. Have a great weekend

Old 06-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

If neurontin doesn't work or stops working, ask to try Lyrica. It is a newer, similar drug with fewer side effects.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
    wise1man
    (female)

wise1man HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    If neurontin doesn't work or stops working, ask to try Lyrica. It is a newer, similar drug with fewer side effects.
    Thank you again for your advice about the Lyrica. I tried Lyrica in the past for my fibromyalgia and had a bad reaction to it. The Neurontin seems to be working pretty good. Hopefully it'll continue. Thank you again.

Closed Thread